• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another air in cooling system question!

rnpilot8030

NAXJA Forum User
Please help,

Very frustrated with 2000 XJ. Have been having problems with air in my cooling system for months. Have replaced the radiator, water pump, hoses, thermostat and rad cap. Flush the system, it is good for about a month (don't drive it every day) and then starts to peg the temp needle for a few seconds then drops back to normal range. Keeps doing this periodically, but the needle stays pegged longer and longer until it stays pegged. Flush the system and it goes back to normal (for awhile). Not sure what to do, could this be the head gasket? And what should I trouble shoot at this point? Thanks.

Matt

The 2000 heads are known for cracking, casting flaw.

-Harbor Freight infrared thermometer and get some readings- several spots, repeated as it warms up, to verify if its the guage or cooling system.

-goes bad idling or highway? how long time wise?

_fan clutch?

Good Luck,

O

Take a nice, bright flashlight and look down into the oil fill hole. The "#0331 Club Card" gets validated right there on the top of the cylinder head casting, and you can see the "milkshake" forming there (if not the crack proper.)

Easiest fix? Get a 2002-2007 WJ/WK/TJ head, since it's the same casting externally (but the internal issue has been fixed.)

Take a nice, bright flashlight and look down into the oil fill hole. The "#0331 Club Card" gets validated right there on the top of the cylinder head casting, and you can see the "milkshake" forming there (if not the crack proper.)

Easiest fix? Get a 2002-2007 WJ/WK/TJ head, since it's the same casting externally (but the internal issue has been fixed.)

So where is hammerspace?

Oh, and I have just created a new, detailed overheating thread for you (and me) to puzzle over (please).

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=244448828#post244448828

So where is hammerspace?

Oh, and I have just created a new, detailed overheating thread for you (and me) to puzzle over (please).

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=244448828#post244448828

"Hammerspace" is a principle in cartoon physics. You know how Bugs Bunny can reach into a small pocket he doesn't have a pull out a honkin' huge mallet that is bigger than he is? Bugs reached into Hammerspace to pull that mallet out. cf: "Bag of Holding" or "Portable Hole" from AD&D.

Got your PM on the thread, I'll get to it shortly.

(As far as the physical location of hammerspace - I haven't moved, I just decided that "Hammerspace" would be more fun than "San Jose, CA"...)

Back