• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aisin-Warner 4 Spd question...

uvaldetxj

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, i have a AW4 that i got from a buddy of mine. he isn't sure if it's in working condition. is there any way i could find out, without mounting it up and trying it out? i'd like to use it someday maybe as a full swap into a yj (RNX 4.0 + AW4). i figure i'd need to drain it and have it flushed and refilled. anyone know if flushing the transmission can be a DIY project? thanks in advance, my friends.

this transmission came out of a 87' xj wagoneer.

Last edited:
Sure DIY,pull the converter out,drain. Pull pan off,screen out and drain.That will get most of the fluid out,at least as much as a flush in the vehicle.
Your friend also gave you the TCU for the trans and the wire harness --I hope .

Wayne

sounds like i can do that pretty easy.

yeah, i do have the tcu and wiring harness.

do you know a way i can test out the transmission without bolting it up and running it?

sounds like i can do that pretty easy.

yeah, i do have the tcu and wiring harness.

do you know a way i can test out the transmission without bolting it up and running it?

NO. I think the tests you want to do would require a tranny dyno to do.

Wayne

You could measure the solenoid resistance to check those are okay. A 90 would still have the magnetic sensor for the output shaft speed sensor, so you can verify that's okay by watching the resistance as you turn the shaft (should go to zero once per rev).

Back