• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ sport wont crank

Jroemer98

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, my 98 xj will not crank at all, I was at auto zone when it died (go figure) I had them test the battery and it was fine, got it towed home and began diagnosing it. When i go to crank it, it does nothing, the brake warning light comes on when holding the key to start then goes away when i release. It wont start in neutral or park or any gear. I tried jumping the starter and no dice, took it to get tested, it works just fine. I tested all my fuses with a test light all, they all are good. Tested 12v coming to starter, all good. Main battery ground is good, cleaned battery terminals tightened connections etc. still nothing. Swapped fuel pump relay with starter since i can hear the fuel pump when i turn the key and still nothing. I haven't really messed with the nss just took it off and apart to inspect it and it looked fine, I'm gonna take it out and apart to clean it tomorrow as well as adjust it to see if hopefully that fixes it. Is there anything i missed that i might be able to try?
Any help is very much appreciated as its my daily.

If you don't get anything when directly jumping the starter then it's one of three things, bad starter, bad battery, or bad cables. Nothing else. Take the starter off and jump it on the ground with jumper cables.

Before you mess with the NSS, unplug it and bypass it for testing purposes.

Back