• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 classic

98_XJ_Classic

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1998 classic xj,
So heres a list of electrical problems:
1. My window switchs work sometimes
2. My blower only works on the 4th (highest) setting.
3. My guages will work also sometimes they will all be working fine then the needles will fall (the plus is my odometer isent working either).
4. My reverse lights also only work sometimes.
5. The indicator lights on my guage cluster dont light when I'm in 4 wheel drive.
... and the list goes on
any help will be greatly appreciated

I have 98 Classic as well.

I had the guage problem, which I guess is pretty common due to corroded connections. mine has been working fine for several months though after a few swift bangs on the dash! You could always pull the gauge cluster and clean the connections.

Your reverse lights sound like a dirty Neutral Safety Switch. Clean that and it should fix it.

The blower sounds like a vacuum leak. Check all your vacuum lines.

Window switches...check your connections where the wires go into the doors.

The blower is not a vac problem - the resistor pack <-- (search term) has failed, and is only passing current on the highest (no resistance) setting.

No Reverse Lights <-- (another search term) is likely a NSS problem.

Power window switch - I'm going to bet it works from the other door? If so, it's a problem with the wiring harness as it runs between the door and frame.

Do all your needles fall to zero (search for "no bus" or no bu5), or is it just the speedometer? (VSS)

I'd recommend familiarizing yourself with the search feature. There are very few problems that are new on a vehicle that's been out of production for eight years.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

X2 -- every one of your issues is well covered even in recent threads. I've never had much luck with the search feature, but seem to have better luck just browsing back. Usually a recent post will have shortcuts to link back to older definative threads. THANKS TO THE GURU"S WHO PERFORM THIS SERVICE!

Your easiest problem is the classic blower resister with the key being "it only works on high".

I was able to find help for several of these problems by searching the OEM forum.
1. There's a great write-up for jumping the window switch wires. After years of messing with the switch, this was about a five-minute fix that has held for over a year.

3. Likewise the guage cluster. Some forums say that there is a re-designed replacement plug - but not for XJs. So about the 5th (the last) time that I pulled the cluster, I used an Xacto knife to slightly bend the tabs on the plugs' contacts so that they more positively touched the pins.

4. I am beginning to have intermittant b/u lamp issues, too. After the snow & slop lets up, that's the next repair.

5. While you have the guage cluster pulled for #3, I would check the bulb.

'98 XJ Classic
170,000 mi.
mostly stock

The Advanced Search - http://naxja.org/forum/search.php - is much more useful. Only search in the Titles and restrict the results to the Technical Forums in the lower right hand box.

#5 Either the dash bulb or the switch on the Transfer Case.

Back