• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ door armrest unglued

Matt89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
the plastic/rubbery armrest cover has separated from the black hard plastic part that is plastic welded right to the door panel.

Has anyone had success gluing these back to the base ?

What glue did you use ?

It look like a soft plastic shell with a spongy rubbery inside for the cover and some type of hard black plastic for the part mounted to the door panel.

I have a picture but it does not look like we can post images.

thx

You have to use an external hosting service for the pictures, then link across to them.

With earlier models like mine the armrest is set up differently, so I've no direct experience.

That said, I'm thinking that maybe something like Shoe Goo might work since as an adhesive for repairing shoes it's designed to have some flexibility. If you try this, you may want to take some sandpaper and rough up the two surfaces that the adhesive will go between, so the stuff has something to grab onto.

Alternately, have you considered checking the local junkyards/online sellers for a replacement panel?

I ending up trying super glue and so far it is working, not sure how long it will last. The shoe goo sounds like a good option but I will need to make a mould to hold the armrest shell in place while it sets.

Finding a replacement panel is probable not a option as there are not to many base model (crank windows...) 2 door models around anymore.

thx

Ah.

As an alternative to a mould, what about taking the panel off, laying it with the arm rest up, and add some weight on top of the arm rest while the adhesive cures?

Or do multiple glues. For long holds I like to use a small amount of a fast setting glue like super glue to hold parts together while a lot more of the slow setting important stuff sets up.

The rest covers the plastic frame so it wraps around top to bottom. I did a section at a time with the super glue, we will see how long that lasts.

thx

Back