• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96XJ 2 give new life to MJ

Ndru

NAXJA Forum User
Hello All, I have a new major project on the horizon and I wanted to ask the great minds of NAXJA for some insite and opinions before I start in.
My situation: I have a 01 XJ sport 4x4 and I have an 88 Mj eliminator 2wd. I love them both, the XJ I use in the dirt and when I need more seats and the MJ is good for commuting and trips to lowes. Trouble is the MJ is showing it's age with over 220k on the clock. Now is the interesting part. Retired parents are willing to give me their 96 Xj 2wd with 68k on it after realizing it is worthless as a trade. YEA!! So I want to convert as much as possible from the 96 Xj to the MJ. Engine/tranny , electrical/ignition, brakes/ suspension . My question is, excluding the rear axle, does anyone know of any major issues that I should be concearned about? Any systems that will be particularly hard to swap. All parts will be on the on the Xj so that is not the issue, both are I6 (mounts?) AW4 D35 with the same ratio (speedo). will the fuel sending unit from the Xj fit in the MJ tank or can the renix pump be used? these are the questions I will be finding out. Any answers you have are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Andy

my brothers are airline mech. and I have collision experience so I have good resources for this project.

Last edited:
the 2wd trans will not mate to your transfercase.
So you're going to have to keep your 4wd trans, or find a newer 4wd trans to go with the swap.

Keeping the renix ECU or do you want to transfer the HO computer over?

Sorry let me clarify.. 88MJ and donor 96 XJ are 2wd aw4/ 4.0 , have d35w/ 3.55 gearing . I do plan on swapping the computer. the plan is to strip the Mj and swap on parts from the Xj one system at a time..

I only posted that I have a 01 Xj to answer the question " why dont you just drive the 96 XJ?" the answer is: I have a 4x4 XJ and I need a truck. I use the bed all the time. I like driving it, just wish it were newer.

Last edited:
Back