• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'85 CV Joints noise?

barillms

NAXJA Forum User
My 229 Selec Trac T.C. seems to work ok, no noises. I don't think front right tire is pulling as hard as the others. I guess it has CV joints instead of universals? There is a fast clicking sound coming from up front when off road going up steep hills - what is this clicking? If CV joints are shot, can I replace them with universals?

yes you can but why? I am running with cv's also and have not blown one yet. I replaced the drivers side cv because of the previous owners lack of maintanence and did not replace the boot when needed and it got alot of sand in there and ruined it. I just put a fresh 2.5 in mine and have put those cv's through hell and they are constantly turning vs a u-joint that has a jerk motion to it. I would stay with the cv's until they give you a serious problem. You are running a 2.5 like me and does not have the power a 4.0 has but is a good runner. If I had a bigger engine I would want to have u-joints for durability. Cv's work for me. Do some searching and you should come up with some info.

I have one laying arround that could be rebuilt if you thought it needed it. Then through it in. And I would get away from them they will break eventually. Especially if you have big tires. Yes the ujoint shafts will slide right in. Even the 297 one. Hard part is getting the disconnect one if you have a disconnect front bc the only source for 297 joint in a diconnect axle is the 94 yj with abs. imsc! I have an 84 and have lots of experience with these early xj's.

Thanks guys, I have the 2.5 so I think I'm going to have both CV shafts rebuilt or replace them, whatever is cheaper. I'll be running 33s for now.
I was just curious to see if it was possible to run U-joints instead. My front axle has no disconnect, NP229 Selec Trac set up ran vacuum to the TC only in my '85 Wagoneer. Thanks!

barillms said:
Thanks guys, I have the 2.5 so I think I'm going to have both CV shafts rebuilt or replace them, whatever is cheaper. I'll be running 33s for now.

I think you should be fine with cv's and 33's. If you break one easily with the 33's than I would change over to u-joints. I put my cv's through alot of abuse and they hold up well with 31's.

Back