• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

36 tooth speedo gear for 96 ax15

gradon

NAXJA Forum User
I just swapped in 3.55s from an automatic into my 96 w/ ax15 and have 27.1" tires and according to go-jeeps speedo chart I need a short shaft 36 tooth speedo gear, even though the auto with 3.55s and 27.4" tires came with the 35 tooth speedo(it would be a lot closer to correct mph than the 31 tooth I currently have). Are the automatics and manual speedo gears interchangeable or tranny specific? Any of you big tire/gear swap guys have a 35 or 36 tooth short shaft gear lying around?

is this on a 2wd? because the speedo gear goes in the transfercase, so it wouldnt matter if its an auto or manual trans.

I did something similar. The donor was 2wd so I took the whole speedo gear unit (kinda neat how it fits in pockets) from the end of the transmission rotated it accordingly and slapped it right in. Worked perfectly. If the donor was 4wd then Im not sure. Its a great mod isnt it?

Yeah, I've driven it a few days now and she pulls good. I usually keep the revs b/t 2-3K and now when you punch it at 2k it goes. I'm glad I went with the 3.55s instead of 3.73s with this wheel/tire combo (If I had 255/50/17s, I definitely would've gotten the 3.73s). I also love the predictability of the LSD when you break traction(usually on purpose). The brake feel is much firmer now and will probably get better when I wear them in more. I am going to buy the KJ e-brake cables and some better brake lines, but will use the current setup for the time being. I highly recommend these mods.

Back