• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 owners-YAY or NAY???

Yay - distributorless ignition
its probably in good shape
if its a Manual tranny, it probably has the NV3550

Nay - LP D30 - which, i've learned really isnt that bad
0331 head casting - however, problem with that head cracking was, from what i can tell, a bad batch in 2000 model year

its just like the 2000, and i happen to love mine, so...

anything else specific you were looking for?

I have a 2001 4.OL auto 4WD as my daily driver...72K Miles...it never goes offroad...I use a 90 Bronco II for offroad, and very little at that.. anyhow... problems I have had with my 01 is battery died after 6 years (to be expected)..power window lockout switch intermittent...fixed with jumper wire, very intermittent misfire on hot restart...fixed with heat wrap tape on injectors and fuel rail and I avoid hot restarts...MPG in city is only around 12 in winter, 15 in summer, 17-20 on highway....replaced front disc brake pads at 40K...just checked rear drum brake pads at 70K and they are only 50% worn...so front brakes doing most of the work...so I rotate tires and adjust rear brakes twice a year...AC evaporator leaked freon after 4 and half years but Dealer replaced it under warranty...Rear Window defrost switch melted down...cheap easy fix...3 different evap leaks repaired by dealer under warranty....

So, you can see that most of work is normal maintenance to be expected...

All in all, it has been a very, very, reliable daily driver...and I expect to keep it for at least another 250,000 miles or one us dies...I only put on about 12K a year so...The Jeep will probably outlast me...LOL

I would say it is hit or miss on the head of the 2000 and up. Not having a distributer is nice but the low pinion front is not as strong as the high pinion front axle. Most 2000 and up have more than 2 oxygen sensors and more than 1 cat converter. Everything 1999 and below only has 1 cat converter and 2 oxygen sensors, 1987-1990 only have 1 oxygen sensor.

My 2000 has almost 260,000 miles on it, the only non maint. item ever replaced was the A/C compressor at around 200,000 miles. Mine also only has 2 oxygen sensors and 1 cat. converter. It is a great vehical to this day and is still solid as any XJ even with the high miles. In my opnion the best XJ would be a 2000 with a high pinion axle, and the better cylinder head but that is custom.

Most people think 99 is the best year. In 99 it still had the good cylinder head and high pinion axle. They also introduced a nice intake manifold that increased power slightly. The 99 does not have coil on plug ignition like the 2000-2001 XJ though.

Good luck!

jeepboy381 said:
Most 2000 and up have more than 2 oxygen sensors and more than 1 cat converter.
Not true. Only ones with California emissions, which i would not qualify as 'most'. If it has federal, it has 2 O2 and 1 cat.

jeepdad56 said:
Is there a range of bad cyl heads per VINs ?
not that anyone knows of, or that chrysler will admit to.

The cylinder head is something to think about, but, IMHO, its not somthing you should 'avoid at all costs'. I just swaped out the head on my '00 with a '98 head (search for my results). Yeah, it was a little bit of work, but if you cahnge your own oil and spark plugs, its nothing you cant tackle in a weekend.

As stated, coil on plug setup on '00+ models is nice.

I cant speak to the LP30 vs. HP30.

If you were looking at 'identical' '99 and '01, i would say go '99 just to avoid any possible cylinder head issues. But if thats not the case, then i see no reason to avoid an '00 or '01.

regards,

ixj

I've heard of way more people with NO 0331 issues (myself included, over 140k miles), than people WITH 0331 issues.

Chrysler wont admit the problem b/c they dont want to replace 300,000+heads. It was a bad batch somewhere, and i've NEVER heard of a 2001 with the issue.

Cyl head issues occured in 2001 as well as 2000.

Although I think the total amount of bad heads is on a lower scale than we imagine. It's just occurs to us that it happens more often than it does due the amount of complaints posted here. But what about all of the rest that aren't cracked?

Just don't let it overheat...keep it happy, I assume it'll return the favor.

I'm pretty sure it would be a Dana 35
Most 2001 come with ABS, which allways uses the Dana 35...so if it is has ABS you know it has a Dana 35...other than that the 8.25 has a flat spot on the bottom of the meatball...Dana 35 doesn't

Probably hard to say...but.. Would the head crack before or after 100k? Anybody on here have a cracked head? (I have one but it's on my shoulders!)

my personal opinion, if it hasnt cracked by 100k.....it probably wont. just dont let it heat. ANY head will warp/crack if it overheats enough....

too many people make it sound like every other head is bulletproof, and that the 0331 head cracks if you look at it wrong.

I love my 2001, nothing more then basic maitanence done.

Besides the head cracking I have had no other issues with my '01, except for the check engine light wont go away after i removed the precats, havent got around to ordering the O2 sims yet. Nice thing about ditching the precats was that i dont regret spending the money on the dynomax exhaust anymore it made it sound alot better.

Buy the 2000, don't listen to the nay sayers.

My 2000 XJ has 138K miles, daily 50 mile round trip commute.
Frt driveshaft vibes, rebuilt at 75K miles
Drivers door regulator gave up the ghost at 80K miles
Replace O2 sensor at 102K miles
Replaced Battery at 5 years
A/C compressor gave up the ghost (@ 95mph) at 132K miles
The water pump is just starting to weep.

Maintenance has been change the fluids annually, every spring. I replaced the hoses and belts once at 50K, I guess they're due.
I replaced the spark plugs once, at 50K miles, hmm...I guess they're due also.

My sister's 2001 has 128K miles.
It has a noisey transfer case. Can't think of anything else gone wrong.

I wish the frt axle wasn't low pinion, but I don't wheel hard. If you're looking for a carefree vehicle, well there are not any.

Good Luck,
Tom

Back