• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 2wd xj grinding noise from tail shaft/ujoint?

hillcameron415

NAXJA Forum User
My girlfriends jeeo is making a grinding noise while the drive shaft spins. It is fine when the trans is in neutral, but as soon as you put it into drive or reverse there's a gnarly grinding noise as if a bearing or something fell apart. I have the Jeep on jack stands, and pulled the e-brake a little bit too slow wheels down. And it sounds like it's coming from the top U joint to the transmission or right where the slip yoke goes into the trans.

So first of all, I can't get that you joint on top out for the life of me. Is there any way to pull the slip yoke out and stop the fluid from draining out so I can work on the shaft on a vice. Or are there any secret tips of getting these U-joints out on the vehicle. Also are there any bearings in the back of this till shaft near where the slip yoke goes to? Do those go out frequently and make this kind of grinding noise? And how hard are they to change or should I find a new transmission. Thanks in advance guys

Park it nose-down, then stuff a rag or watter bottle in there. Then put a pan below to catch any drips. Top-off the trans fluid if you lose a lot.If you have an old drive shaft yoke, you can put that in there to completely stop the fluid draining. I keep one that has a damaged ujoint part around painted yellow just for this occasion.

Dont forget to pump a lot of grease back into the slip yoke flange when your done. If it was a drive shaft ujoint, unfortunately it would be very obvious.

When grabbing onto the yoke comma I can move it up and down just a little bit. Seems like it should ideally have zero play in it. A little researching says the tailshaft has a bushing that goes out. Could this be a cause of the play in the Yoke? And all the vibrations and noise I'm getting when the shaft spins?

Would anyone be kind enough to point me where to get the tail shaft bushing? And any methods of. Removal and installation that I should know about?

Back