• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited- Many modifications and new parts- MA- $4500

squashman702

NAXJA Forum User
1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited- Deep Slate

Story:
Bought this on eBay in August- had a 6” or so lift on it and 33’s, and I was planning on using it as a toy or project. The previous owner put a lot of money into modifications (at least $3k into the engine alone, which made this a pretty attractive buy). I am the second owner, and the previous owner had used it mostly as a winter vehicle. Got it home and determined that I didn’t like the way that the lift was done, so I spent a large pile of money at Crown to get it down to stock height to make it a daily driver. I have since put around 12k on it, and it has left me stranded once due to a bad CPS, which has since been replaced. I live in the city and have no need for two cars at this point and spend much more time driving my 1994 5 speed since I prefer driving stick anyway.

Body has a couple of questionable spots (namely the passenger side rocker behind the side skirt, some welding by the PO near the D/S front control arm, and a little bit of rust in the front wheel wells on the firewall seams), but no real rot, which is surprising for a New England ZJ. No accidents on the Autocheck report I ran, and I have a clear title in my name. It definitely needs a few weekends worth of work, but I have most of the parts to do it as listed below. I’ve decided that I don’t really want to put the time in to another ZJ (this is my 5th one), and that it’s much more fun to go fast on my dirtbike instead of in a Jeep.

Performance (all modifications to engine done by previous owner):
-EQ Monster Magnum 2.02” heads, stainless steel valves
-1.6 Comp Camps rockers
-Spectre CAI with K&N filter and upgraded air hat
-Fastman TB (52 or 53mm?)
-Mopar M1
-FMS 24 pound injectors
-Race wires
-Doug Thorley headers/Y pipe
-Full 3” exhaust
-Poly motor mounts
-Deep aluminum trans pan
-All metal radiator
-Battery relocated to trunk with aluminum battery box

Drivetrain:
-NP231 swap, aftermarket linkage, correct bezel
-Ford 8.8 swap in rear with IRO brackets, 3.55 gears, open diff (needs pinion bearing but definitely driveable as I put 12k miles on it, just loud), replaced the LP30 with another used unit with 3.73’s due to some rot on the original axle’s brackets

Suspension/Chassis:
-V8 Upcountry coils with a full wrap cut to sit at stock height, firm ride
-Bilstein 4600 HD shocks
-Addco 1.25” front sway bar
-WJ poly end links (front)
-Addco 7/8” rear bar
-SS brake lines
-KOR radiator support

New parts (12k miles or less on all of these, easily over $1k in receipts):
-Upper and lower control arms front and rear
-Coil isolators
-Rear main seal
-Oil pan gasket
-Oil pump
-P/S front window regulator
-Front calipers
-Rotors and pads all around
-Euro signals
-Track bar bushings in rear
-Track bar in front
-All TRE’s, tie rod, drag link
-Pitman arm
-Power steering pump
-Crankshaft position sensor
-D/S front wheel bearing (Moog)
-Coil

Other:
-Sony headunit with Ipod hookup
-Pioneer speakers in doors, factory in soundbar

Needs (everything I can think of in the interest of full disclosure):
Engine:
-Small oil leak from timing chain cover (one or two drops on ground when parked)
-Small oil leak from either rear of valve covers or from HG (typically doesn’t leak enough to drip on the ground, seen on the back of the block, however)
-CEL on for cat, exhaust leaks at the Y pipe, which is likely triggering the CEL

Body/Interior:
-Sunroof doesn’t work and leaks, headliner is sagging on the P/S because of this, could easily be reglued
-Hatch has dent and rubs body, PO must have backed in to something (have new hatch bumpers to include and can point you to a seller with a good replacement hatch in Deep Slate)
-Windshield is chipped in one spot and is cracked in another, should be replaced, seal around it is rusting some anyway and looks bad
-Driver’s seat shows wear, but has no tears, rest of interior is very nice
-Jeep is on steelies right now with mediocre tires
-A/C does not work from what I can tell, haven’t diagnosed anything there so it may just need a charge

Drivetrain/Suspension:
-Torque convertor/trans makes a whirring noise while in gear. Haven’t diagnosed this, but it sounds like it is coming from right under the shifter. Trans occasionally acts up, has slipped on me a couple of times going from ½ to full throttle, but this is by no means a regular occurrence. Previous owner noted this issue when I bought it, probably could use a shift kit and a service, I haven’t dropped the pan to take a look. I’d also suggest a big cooler since this is still running the factory setup through the radiator and the 46RE tends to hold up a lot better.
-Front axle seals
-Ball joint in front axle, has play on one side

Rear end (these really could all be resolved at once):
-8.8 swap/brackets/etc or go back to a D44A
-Rear trackbar adjusted
-Clunks in rear
-Ball joint in front axle, has play on one side
-Front axle seals
-Rear swaybar is not in it

Extras included for asking price (Roughly $1300+ in parts, a bunch are new in box):
-8.8 rear with good LSD, brackets already on it for ZJ, but should be redone ($200+ without brackets from JY)
-IRO 8.8 bracket kit with adjustable coil pads ($250 kit)
-5.9 rear driveshaft ($50 used)
-Bilstein 4600’s for rear ($160 new)
-H&R lowering springs ($250 new)
-SCT 9550 handheld and Innovate LC1 (SCT needs to be plugged in to a laptop to work, and needs to be flashed to vehicle) ($250 used)
-Upper and lower ball joints for one side ($50 new)
-Front inner axle seals ($15 new)
-Used 3” cat with only several hundred miles on it with fresh O2 sensor ($80 used)

Also available (Negotiable and not included in asking price):
-Mustang 17x8 Bullits with 245/45R17 on them (not great tread, but wheels are very nice)
-Extra E-fan and relay setup
-Variety of 5.9 specific interior parts (shifters, arm rest, sound bar, trim, etc)
-Lift springs, control arms, track bar that came out of it

Looking for $4500 with the extras, additional parts negotiable. Will also entertain trades for other vehicles.

I'll probably take those Mustang wheels/tires Dave.

Also, I've seen/driven/worked on this Jeep, and while it does needs some work to be 100%, it's still a good deal IMO. The underside is cleaner than any other ZJ I've seen from the NE, despite the two small issues noted above. It sounds cool too, and that's what matters right?

I personally know Dave's mechanic and he really knows his shit, especially ZJs. This thing has only been touched by the most skilled, highly trained hands.

Good luck with the sale. I sold my rust free fully functioning 124k mint pretty much stock slate 5.9l for 4800 2 years ago. I also know of a few nice 5.9 ltd's for sale in the 3800-5000 range. I think the price is highly optimistic.

despicable_me_minion_by_rofhiwa-d660nly.jpg

Good luck with the sale. I sold my rust free fully functioning 124k mint pretty much stock slate 5.9l for 4800 2 years ago. I also know of a few nice 5.9 ltd's for sale in the 3800-5000 range. I think the price is highly optimistic.

Price is just a starting point with this, but comparing this to a stocker is comparing apples to oranges.

Anyone with a few weekends worth of time can have a mid-13 second Jeep for not much more than the selling price. A lot of the big 5.9 issues are solved- heads are done, comes with two 8.8 swaps, cooling system has been done, 231 is swapped in place of the 249. Suspension is mostly brand new, and once the ball joint and the other wheel bearing is done, will be. All of these are important factors with these Jeeps.

Price is just a starting point with this, but comparing this to a stocker is comparing apples to oranges.

Anyone with a few weekends worth of time can have a mid-13 second Jeep for not much more than the selling price. A lot of the big 5.9 issues are solved- heads are done, comes with two 8.8 swaps, cooling system has been done, 231 is swapped in place of the 249. Suspension is mostly brand new, and once the ball joint and the other wheel bearing is done, will be. All of these are important factors with these Jeeps.

I agree it has a lot of good parts on/with it. However at the end of the day it needs a lot of axle work with mismatched gears and bracket work and what not. For a lot of people that is a bit of a turn off. The motor work is awesome. Swapping a 231 is a nice perk over the 249. But a 241or would of been a much more desirable swap for the crowd around here. I don't want you to think I'm knocking your 5.9. It's got a lot of good stuff. Just knowing how people are with these I think that the things it need are more price effecting. I hope somebody does give you your asking price or close to it. It has a ton of potential.

I think you should STFU if your not interested in purchasing, no one here needs you to tell us what you feel it's worth.

It's an asking price..

I think you should STFU if your not interested in purchasing, no one here needs you to tell us what you feel it's worth.

It's an asking price..

Woa calm down man! I was just posting up what these things were going for when together. I'm not knocking the jeep at all I even said it has a ton of potential to be a very bad ass rig. The ad on this jeep alone is awesome. He posted every single issue with the jeep. Whoever buys this will know exactly what they are getting. Also I would be interested in it if it were not so far away from me.

Back