• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1982 cherokee dana 44 (front & rear) compatibility

BigRed93xj

NAXJA Forum User
I dont know the exact name for the 1982 cherokee. Is it Wagoneer or something... Anyway hopefully you guys understand. Are these Dana 44 strong when compared to the D44 on the late 80's cherokee? I found a pair of them online for $100 each. Is that worth it, and how hard would it be to fab them in? Worth it or no..... I know the front axle has leaf springs but thats not impossible to switch. Anything else I should consider, thanks.

yea im finding some info online here and there on these. Sounds like better than what I got, Dana 30 and Dana 35.... I think. I just dont want to get in a situation where I gotta drop a grand into these things to get them to fit right. Im no mechanic or anything so parts and labor are gonna get me. Any benfit running full width axles?

Be aware, I'm pretty sure that that rear 44 is going to be narrower than your stock axle by about 2". The front is almost the same width(too close to worry about).

If it is an 82 you have 2 things you need to look at... First of all, it won't have a 44 rear... It will be an AMC20 (round cover)... Second of all, look to see if the truck had steel fender flares on it... If it does, the axles are 5" wider than the Waggy or narrow track Cherokee...

I've been wanting to put a set of wide-track Cherokee axles in my Jeep. Definitely ask if they are wide track or not, or at least ask what the lengths of the axles are.
The rear shouldn't be too difficult, you'll need to weld on some spring perches but hopefully you know someone who can weld.
The front will be more involved, the steering will probably have to be fabbed up such as your tie rods and whatnot, maybe an over-the-knuckle? Also, again coil buckets and control arm mounts will have to be figured out, no big deal there I don't think as long as you get a good deal on welding.

Back