• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

13th Annual SoCalXJ Picnic is Sunday Aug 23, 2015!

Carol.92124

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Mark your calendars!

DATE: Sunday, August 23rd, 2014.

Come one, come all. It's time for the SoCalXJ Fiesta Island BBQ Picnic Potluck Swapmeet Show'n'shine Hootenanny Cavalcade!

This is the 13th year in a row we drive our XJs to the beach during the summer time for some good food, and water play (Jet ski's, boats, kayaks, sandcastles, fire pits, etc). Bring some food for yourself, and some to share (if you like). We can use some tables if you have them.

Feel free to drive your daily drivers, RVs, tow rigs, TJs, whatever, if that's all you have, driving/owning an XJ is not required, it's just encouraged. No, this is not an official NAXJA SoCal Chapter event, it's been a SoCalXJ event since day one, but think about it folks, this event has been going on longer then the NAXJA SoCal Chapter has existed. This is an official unofficial SoCalXJ Yahoo group event. You don't have to be a member of SoCalXJ.com
ahoo Group or of NAXJA to attend.

TIME: Morning until whenever, just show up any time!
Typically, most people arrive mid-day, but people will generally be there sunrise to just before sunset.
Official beach hours are 6am-10pm. Island access does close, with NO CAMPING. Carol Horsley (white XJ) and Charles Stein (medium blue XJ) have generously agreed AGAIN to get there at 6am to "hold" a stretch of bayfront sand... so you can't get there "too early"...

DIRECTIONS/MAP, click on the blue pin, and get directions to: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=213636899238715041971.00048d2fe378839f15a18&msa=0

We'll be on the flat stretch along the west side of the Island (once on Fiesta Island, take the "shortcut across the island" left at the fork in the road, and when you can see the bay again, you should be seeing an assortment of XJs and such ahead of you on the sand.

From I-5, take the Sea World Drive exit and head southwest, then make a right onto East Mission Bay Drive, then left to Fiesta Island. There is parking throughout the island.

OFFICIAL FIESTA ISLAND RULES:
NO alcohol OR glass containers.
http://www.sandiego.gov/cityattorney/documents/alcoholban.shtml

http://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/parks/regional/missionbay/fiestaisland.shtml

Sorry, San Diego County Municipal Code rules, NOT our Rules. Again, no glass containers, no camping, closes at 10.

POTLUCK SIGN-UP SHEET (Optional, just so we don't get 10 bags of chips):

Potluck link here: http://www.luckypotluck.com/potluck/SoCalXJPicnic2015

I'll be there with the dogs, the wife and kid, but no XJ :-(

Probably bringing whatever fruit is ripe (if the drought doesn't kill everything) and maybe some chili.

You had me at Swapmeet and hooters. Or whatever you said...party1:

once again i won't make it out for this. One of these days i'll show up to just piss folks off.LOL. Yeah, i haven't changed at all Carol.

Dammit Scott, you need to come visit!! There's this body of water way over here on the coast... and you can drive your JHeep on the sand...

yea. One guy had this neat pyramid tarp. He called it a tent or something. :dunce:

Last year there was a group of over landers right next to us.

It sooooooooooooooooooooooo needs to be Sunday already!!

Pretty excited for this! I'll probably swing by Costco sometime tomorrow to find something to bring for the potluck. Looking forward to meeting some other local XJ owners!

Will have to make a grocery run today. It'll be the baby's first Jeep ride/trip anywhere haha. There was some discussion on the e-mail group about HAM radio and picking a frequency to use.

There's a repeater in Mission Hills (WD6APP) that covers most of the West part of the county. Should be easy to use. I can hit it from Lakeside from the Jeep. I'll be monitoring it on the way there tomorrow.

145.320 -0.6 PL 107.2

Figured Simplex would be easy and just use

If we got enough ham folks maybe we should just pick a "NAXJA FREQ" for the SOCAL chapter.

Back