• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90' cherokee transmission slip?*help*

nestore

NAXJA Forum User
so i have a 1990 cherokee with 220k miles. i dont know if the previous owner had any kind of rebuilding to it but when i got this truck 2 years ago, i did the regular maintenance on it (changed the filter and new oil). now, when i get to about 4th gear (this is an auto not manual), i let go of the gas just slightly and it revs up on me. it just happens at about 30-35 MPH. it revs up like if its going on to Overdrive and then it comes back down like normal. i really cant afford to have this tranny rebuilt. any suggestions? i tried Lucas and it still has the problem. :banghead:

Doesn't necessarily sound like an internal transmission problem. Potentially the throttle position sensor? Also is the transmission "TV" cable linkage adjusted correctly at the throttle body?

Has it been doing this recently, because mine always does this when I barely open the throttle at 40 mph. As long as it doesn't slip at high engine loads, I wouldn't worry about it.

well i know that for a fact its not the TPS becasue i just replaced it along with the oil change. now the cable, which one exactly is it?

Just checking but: you did adjust the TPS when you put it in right? I forgot to adjust mine when I put it in a while back.

nope no adjustment. its weird though because it just started to do this about 2 months ago. beforehand, there was no problem and it had the TPS that i had placed when i bought the jeep 2 years ago.

took it to the transmission shop and they said that the bands were worn out and that's the problem but dam, i dont trust shops. thats $1k we're talking about.

first you need to adjust the tps with a voltmeter to factory specs. without the tps adjusted/set up proporly, its tough to diagnos the problem.

if it is the bands in the tranny, you would be better off replacing the trans with a junk yard replacement. i also believe the bands can be adjusted/tighened.

well i still have not had any time to adjust the TPS but now im noticing that the transmission or the whole car in general gets loose in N while im doing about 30-35 but then i put it into gear and it gets tight on me like if the transmission gets stiff. :(

Back