• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Has anyone made a Center Console?

It is really strange that you would post about this... :looney:

I am almost finished with my custom center console that I started building last week. I took a 50 cal. ammo can, painted it black, cut of the closing mechanism, cut a hole for the parking brake, and cut the rim of my factory console so the can would slide in. I bolted it in using the bolts on the bottom of the console and an "L" shaped bracket that screws in above the parking brake and attaches to the front of the ammo can. My goals were to have a slightly bigger console that locked (so I'm not freaking out in wal-mart with my jeep parked in the parking lot with the doors off.) It's worked out pretty well for me so far, but I still have to drill a hole for the lock and make a cover for the hole I made in the bottom of the box to accomadate the p-brake handle.

I'll take pictures tomorrow if I have time, I am really pleased with the outcome and would recommend it to anyone. It obviously doesn't look factory, but it doesn't look white-trash either. :gee:

Some company made a hole complete Center Console replacement long ago………….

I saw a pic of it once……it had a switch panel area, storage box (same location as stock), and cup holders or something I believe……….and it ws all aluminum or steel….or something

I remember they stopped making it just when I got my first XJ….and that was like……..6 yrs ago

I still wish someone would still make something of the sort

I was thinking of seing what it would take to fabricate aluminum replacement latches for the stock console lid...since everybody's is broken.

I just checked Ebay and they have lots of full consoles, lids, and cup holders on there. Might be cheaper than making one if you can't find one at a wrecker.

Maverickj1 said:

I am almost finished with my custom center console that I started building last week. I took a 50 cal. ammo can, painted it black, cut of the closing mechanism, cut a hole for the parking brake, and cut the rim of my factory console so the can would slide in. I bolted it in using the bolts on the bottom of the console and an "L" shaped bracket that screws in above the parking brake and attaches to the front of the ammo can. My goals were to have a slightly bigger console that locked (so I'm not freaking out in wal-mart with my jeep parked in the parking lot with the doors off.) It's worked out pretty well for me so far, but I still have to drill a hole for the lock and make a cover for the hole I made in the bottom of the box to accomadate the p-brake handle.

I'll take pictures tomorrow if I have time, I am really pleased with the outcome and would recommend it to anyone. It obviously doesn't look factory, but it doesn't look white-trash either. :gee:

funny you should say that I was going to use a ammo can for the storage compartment

Yeah, I really like the Tuffy center console insert, but I can think of a lot more stuff to buy for $170 plus shipping. The ammo can console is practically the same thing. It's really hard to explain how to mount it but just go get a 50 cal. ammo can and try and fit it into the console. You'll get an idea as to how you want to cut the console to match. And if you mess it up, they're a dime a dozen at the pick and pull and easy to take out.

98XJeep said:
will a console out of a newer XJ like a 98 with cupholders fit? I haven't compared the two, just a thought.

yes, its been done, there are a couple things that need to be changed (e-brake has to be moved, a/c ducts wont line up). search, there are some good write ups.

I was thinking the same thing, but then remembered my brothers ebrake handle is centered. It's ridiculous how many goodies get collected in that stupid little tub beneath it.

Maverickj1 said:

Be sure to post some pics when your done. I took my console out and started making plans.

Back