• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oxygen sensor / Atermarket OK ????

Odarby

NAXJA Forum User
Getting ready to do new cat, muffler and tail pipe on my 99 XJ that has just over 100,000 on it. Been shopping around for a downstream O2 sensor for it because at a 100,000 I figure it is due. Should I spring for a oem O2 sensor (expensive) or are the aftermarket ones OK? See them on eBay for around $35, like this one (eBay link) or are they junk?

personaly I think bosch is the best, plus theyre the one's that make alot of the original equiptment for alot of manufacturers nowadays. just my .02 got mine at pepboys for like 50 bucks, works just fine

Odarby said:
Getting ready to do new cat, muffler and tail pipe on my 99 XJ that has just over 100,000 on it. Been shopping around for a downstream O2 sensor for it because at a 100,000 I figure it is due. Should I spring for a oem O2 sensor (expensive) or are the aftermarket ones OK? See them on eBay for around $35, like this one (eBay link) or are they junk?
I just ordered some for my 99 from http://oxygengeek.com/ for 70 bucks for both of them shipped. I ordered them thursday and the tracking number shows they should be on my front step tomorrow. They sell SNG sensors, I think its a relatively new brand. They were cheap and shipped fast, we'll see how the quality is.

I don't have any experience with aftermarket o2 sensors on my XJ yet, but I have never had any problems with any brand I've tried on other vehicles.

*EDIT* The ones I ordered ARE a direct fit.

Bosch invented the thing - and either Bosch or NTK (? - the outfit that makes WHEGOs for AFR monitors...) are about the best.

I'll usually get a direct fit Bosch. Borg-Warner is a little cheaper - and is essentially a re-boxed Bosch anyhow. Ditto ACDelco.

MisterFubar said:
I just ordered some for my 99 from http://oxygengeek.com/ for 70 bucks for both of them shipped. I ordered them thursday and the tracking number shows they should be on my front step tomorrow. They sell SNG sensors, I think its a relatively new brand. They were cheap and shipped fast, we'll see how the quality is.

I don't have any experience with aftermarket o2 sensors on my XJ yet, but I have never had any problems with any brand I've tried on other vehicles.

*EDIT* The ones I ordered ARE a direct fit.

Looks like a worthwhile option @ oxygengeek. Let me know how it works. Where is the upstream sensor located on the 99? I haven't even looked yet.

Odarby said:
Looks like a worthwhile option @ oxygengeek. Let me know how it works. Where is the upstream sensor located on the 99? I haven't even looked yet.

Considering I've had my upsteam unplugged for about a week now, I'm sure it will be an improvement. I'll keep you posted on how it works out, I'll also be putting a header, a new cat, and a cat back on at the same time.

If you follow exhaust manifold down you'll see it. The plug for it is attached to one of the bolts on the oil pan. The downstream sensors is sticking straight up a couple inches past the cat.

Speaking of 02 sensors, which one - Bosch - should I buy for a '99 4.0? 4 wire? It's at about 130,000 miles and probably has never had a replacement...

I got a Bosch universal (meaning I had to cut and splice some wires, but it fit the plug perfectly) at AutoZone for ~$60. It's been doing its job perfectly for at least 5,000 miles.

id just like to add one thing

12009 part number for a renix bosch unit. i believe thats the number off the top of my head.

rag said:
id just like to add one thing

12009 part number for a renix bosch unit. i believe thats the number off the top of my head.

Yeah - but that's for RENIX, and the sensors work differently.

However, according to the box on my shelf, that's the one for RENIX. But, using it on anything 1991 or later will get you a code, and it will probably work worse than the old sensor did...

I have a 2000 and used 4 NGK O2 sensors....no problems at all, been running them for over 8 months....

i have just replaced both up and down for my 2000. part numbers for the bosch units were 13138 for the downstream and 13122 for the up. Both work great tested with my scanner and will let you know about gas mileage. i was getting between 10 and 12 mpg. mine cost total 140 with tax

When I wrench on cars including other peoples cars oxygen sensors are one of the few things I go OEM on. I've had problems with Bosch sensors in the XJ, the OEM one is made by NTK they also make the NGK line of spark plugs. Maybe I'm just crazy and the sensor was a coincidental defect but I tend to think the original one is going to have the correct electrical characteristics, period.

MisterFubar said:
Considering I've had my upsteam unplugged for about a week now, I'm sure it will be an improvement. I'll keep you posted on how it works out, I'll also be putting a header, a new cat, and a cat back on at the same time.

If you follow exhaust manifold down you'll see it. The plug for it is attached to one of the bolts on the oil pan. The downstream sensors is sticking straight up a couple inches past the cat.

Hey MrFubar,...getting ready this week to round up some parts. How did those sensors from http://oxygengeek.com/ work out?

any more imput on these? my 99 xj is nearing 100k and it is time to replace em... sorry if this is an old thread...

Back