• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AMC8

JJacobs

NAXJA Forum User
It's been a while since I've seen any pics of an AMC V-8 in an xj/mj online. So now that mine's slowly coming back together, here's a couple shots. I just finished the rewire- it'll get loomed after I get the 401 back from the machine shop and fired.

This is the Aeromotive A1000 and filters, needed since I'm going to run E85 EFI and lots of HP.
imgp1453edro1.jpg

Firewall area- it's been a little massaged by the BFH for valve cover clearance.
imgp1455edxs0.jpg

Here you can see the framerail plating, motor mounts and a header. The front axle mod's not necessary at higher lift height with manifolds or blockhuggers.
imgp1456edeo4.jpg

Last edited:
Aeromotive stuff is on the web.. suffice it to say the fuel system alone is over a grand, the lines are AN-10 up and -6 back. The pump is rated at 150 gal/hr under pressure, or 600 gal/hr when measured the same as other pumps. Aeromotive likes to rate their stuff in horsepower capability and this one's rated from 800 to 1300HP depending on EFI or carb, and NA or boosted.

I'm still going to have to add another small, thankfully cheap electric pump and separate fuel system down the road for the nitrous kit- tech rep told me the ethanol and my HP goal will about max out the A1000.

5-90, I'll probably just update this thread periodically until it's done. This engine's run in this Jeep before, maybe one of the old pics would be of interest?

What kind of motor mods will you have when done? The AMCs do have some good parts out there.

It's .040 over so 411 ci. Stock forged crank, 2 bolt caps with ARP studs. Custom Arias racing pistons, flattops with valve reliefs for 12.5:1 compression. Stress relieved, shotpeened rods, bottom end is balanced. Valley pan oil line mod. Double roller timing set, new front cover/ oil pump. Crane 292 cam but I'm seriously considering the Schneider .580 lift flat tappet.

Heads are ported iron stock castings with bigger valves. 295 cfm intake, 203 exhaust. Crane full roller rockers and h/d pushrods. Torker single plane intake, MSD Pro-Billet distributor, 6A ignition box, Holley Commander 950 fully tunable EFI with Prologger wideband for tuning. Homemade 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 stepped headers with full length tubes and collectors. 2.5 duals with Magnaflow 6" round mufflers.

HP should be around 550 at the flywheel, then there's the NX Hitman kit if that's not enough. I wonder how the Lockrite'd D44 is going to hold up.

JJacobs said:
It's .040 over so 411 ci. Stock forged crank, 2 bolt caps with ARP studs. Custom Arias racing pistons, flattops with valve reliefs for 12.5:1 compression. Stress relieved, shotpeened rods, bottom end is balanced. Valley pan oil line mod. Double roller timing set, new front cover/ oil pump. Crane 292 cam but I'm seriously considering the Schneider .580 lift flat tappet.

Heads are ported iron stock castings with bigger valves. 295 cfm intake, 203 exhaust. Crane full roller rockers and h/d pushrods. Torker single plane intake, MSD Pro-Billet distributor, 6A ignition box, Holley Commander 950 fully tunable EFI with Prologger wideband for tuning. Homemade 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 stepped headers with full length tubes and collectors. 2.5 duals with Magnaflow 6" round mufflers.

HP should be around 550 at the flywheel, then there's the NX Hitman kit if that's not enough. I wonder how the Lockrite'd D44 is going to hold up.

Just some thing els to consider........there is a Roller Cam and Lifter that would go nicely, with Roller Rocker and every thing els you have done.;)

Flash

The rig's at work now so it's time for real progress. Thanks Led for mentioning the 4.0 I put in the back (for my other ride) still had oil in it! Took half an hour with a Hotsy on the rollback that hauled the MJ there...

Fuel system parts are all here, 5/8 supply, 1/2 return aluminum hard line with the appropriate AN-10 and -08 pieces and braided line. Shiny.

I need a few more $$ for this project so I am offering up for sale my old AMC blockhugger headers to help someone else out that wants to fit an AMC8. They're not the prettiest things in the world and I had some gasket sealing issues with them, but I can get them put on a mill and made flat- probably should have done that in the first place. Alternatively I can get thick AMC header flanges made if you want to roll your own. My roommate's going to whip up a few sets. (I know this isn't the for sale board, delete this paragraph if it's objectionable)

Not quite. This motor's got a 1000hp ceiling. I can't afford to get it there, but it could take that much with forced induction. 4.6.. I can see 600 hp as about the max. A little difference.

A tweaked 360 or stock 401 would run with a s/c 4.6 IMHO.

Last edited:
j99xj, did you think an s/c stroker owns everything?

Today's progress was very tedious stuff. I had thought about getting a sump kit for the tank but didn't really relish the idea of welding on a gas tank. So I modified the stock pickup for 1/2 and 5/8 line. Left the sender alone, cut the other tubes out and welded all the holes shut. Redrilled 7/8 and 3/4 for AN bulkhead fittings. Set the hard line pickup so it sits at the back of the somewhat baffled tray that extends toward the back of the tank. Of course, you have to install the main assembly and then put the tubes in and tighten them down.

Shoulda got a fuel cell. Oh well, it's a step done.

JJacobs said:
j99xj, did you think an s/c stroker owns everything?

In general, no.

But where we live (high altitude) I do think a supercharged stroker would beat an n/a 401.

You know what I'm talking about if you have ever been up I-70 west of Denver and headed toward Central City/Blackhawk. The boosted cars are easily seen zooming by in the left lanes.

Of course, if you supercharged the 401 it would be no contest.

Last edited:
j99xj said:
In general, no.

But where we live (high altitude) I do think a supercharged stroker would beat an n/a 401.

You know what I'm talking about if you have ever been up I-70 west of Denver and headed toward Central City/Blackhawk. The boosted cars are easily seen zooming by in the left lanes.

So are the V-8s. A stock 401, like I said, maybe. Otherwise no chance. Why don't you get on your blown 4.whatever build and we'll meet up sometime?

Last edited:
JJacobs said:
So are the V-8s. A stock 401, like I said, maybe. Otherwise no chance. Why don't you get on your blown 4.whatever build and we'll meet up sometime?

I don't have the time or the money. (at least right now, because I'm in college)

By the time I do have the time/money I'd probably get Corvette or a Mercedes instead and leave my Jeep for camping/wheeling.

It would be fun to build up a boosted stroker but my engine has several hundred thousand miles to go before a rebuild would be in order.

But good luck with your build. Keep us updated.

Been chipping away at it after work all week. Fuel system is completed, brakes just need the fittings tightened and the system bled. Trans mount gets worked out tomorrow. TH400 race overhaul kit gets here Monday so that'll take me a couple evenings. Then build the other header and hook it to my Magnaflows.

Because of the cam combined with altitude I don't get enough vacuum to run the brake booster. I got a 77 cj-5 manual master cylinder and bolted it to the booster after shortening the pushrod a half inch. Eliminated the MJ's rear ride height brake valve and installed an XJ proportioning valve which only needs one line to the rear. So all the hard lines are brand new except for the left front- you thinking what I'm thinking, should probably change that one too.

Oh- it's got 28" BFG drag radials on now too. :fuse:

j/c are you running 4wd or 2wd? I was guessin 2wd, but I wasn't sure.

Tranny's mostly done. TH400, the first one I've gone through. I'll keep doing Ford trannies only if that's okay with everybody, they're a million times easier to install the clutch pistons without trashing seals. I bought two builder cores and it's a good thing. Both were driveway rebuilds that didn't turn out so well, one managed to junk the case and center support.

I keep procrastinating on building the other header, but the motor's supposed to be done next week so I guess I'm running out of options.

Not sure if anybody's reading this but I'll keep updating-

Trans is done on the bench. Converter's on order. M and M Transmission 3600 stall 9", billet hub with n20 anti-balloon plate. Hurst Pro-Matic 2 ratchet shifter's installed. Yes, the one they sell at AutoZone. I'm playing with springs to get it sitting just right, it'll end up about a 2-3" drop.

Then time for that damn header...

I, for one, am still reading. Didn't you have some pics on putfile a while back? Can you hit us with the links again?

I'd love to see you up at Bandimere for the Mopar drags next spring.

Steve

Back