• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission not shifting!?!@#

dgrigorenko

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 99 AW4 with 185000 on it , and was driving down the highway today, and i noticed it reving high, and realized it was still in third gear..... it wouldnt shift to 4th at all. i had to pull over, put in park, turn off and back on. tried going again and it worked, since then though it has done it 3 more times. is my tranny going out or what?:smsoap:

Ive been getting that lately ever since i installed my neutral safety switch. I believe the 4th gear is electronic so maybe you've got a problem with the switch. I used to get it a lot and it was frustrating on the highway home from school. Do your reverse lights work?

uhhh nope the reverse lights no worky. prolly looked like an idiot backing up to a curb and jumping out to look at the ass end of my jeep. so you got it after you installed you nss? i havnt done anything with mine. maybe just clean it? or replace?

You can try to clean it, but good luck getting it off in one piece. Mine self-destructed when it came off because it was cold out. As a word advice, look around for a spare at the junk yard just in case, because getting them ordered from a parts store may take a couple days. Ive never got my completely adjusted yet, its say 98% set but its tough due to lack of utlities available to me. Im happy now that i can get it into each gear smoothly but for me to start in "neutral" i need to be at the bottom part of neutral almost into the Drive spot on the shifter so its off by a little bit. Its a pain in the ass betweeen the toasty tranny pan and the hot exhaust pipe...

UPDATE: i cleaned my NSS, and it still doesnt work. the thing wasnt all that dirty in the first place, had original yellow grease and everything. i aligned it and everything correctly, but no 4th. any more ideas????

UPDATE 2: i tooke the NSS off again and cleaned again but this time took some steel wool to the contacts. put it back together with some dielectric grease, and adjusted it to where it starts in P and N, took it for a spin, worked great for five min, then quit working again.... does noone have any clues?

also... the reverse lights are still not working

no help?

there has to be one person out there who knows what might be going on here....

sounds like your trans is going out to me,take a close look at your fluid does it appear dark in color? or smell really bad if it does you can try taking it to a trans shop that has power flush machine. see if that helps if not, might have to rebuild it or swap with junk yard part.

i just had it power flushed and the filter changed. it is a nice red color, and smells fine....

also this does not explain the reverse lights not working

It sounds more like a shift solenoid, i have read that its pretty common they fail, turn your key on and off 3 times ending with it in the ON position, and watch your odometer, its going to give you codes. Post them here, we'll look them up for you.

I'm pretty sure this problem was solved sometime in May or June of 2007...

he didn't come back and say it was fixed tho

good point:sure:

so here it is: i fixed it.... i replaced the ECM/ECU/PCM or whatever you want to call it. it fixed the shifting and the reverse lights.... weird

Back