• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JCR steering

the jcr stuff is known as "inverted T" and can be ran "over the knuckle" or "under the knuckle." there are inherent issues with this style steering, as well as other modifications that need to be done to accommodate for it depending on the orientation that is is ran. whether or not you can live with it, is up to you.

you should now have enough info on what you are looking at in order to find what info you want with a google search. if money allows, i would recommend the currie stuff over inverted T.

I have bent the tie rod twice on my Currie setup. Other than that its pure beef and great for 6" lift and under. The tie rod is made to bend first and can be straightened out fairly easily. Worth the money IMHO

I would pass on the currie setup. Pop a tre on the trail and where do you get a new one. You have to buy currie ends and they are pricey. Too pricey to carry spares for most people. Atleast with a one ton setup it's way cheaper to carry spares and if not you can get them at any auto parts store.

I would pass on the currie setup. Pop a tre on the trail and where do you get a new one. You have to buy currie ends and they are pricey. Too pricey to carry spares for most people. Atleast with a one ton setup it's way cheaper to carry spares and if not you can get them at any auto parts store.

I thought the same thing. But I can't seem to break one, only wear out the tre's. Actually, the tre's are fine but the boots need replacing on 3 of the ends. I carry currie spares, and yeah they are pricey but I have never broke and have never seen one break. And the currie stuff has better road manners by far, no noticeable tie rod roll like the 1 ton setups.

I thought the same thing. But I can't seem to break one, only wear out the tre's. Actually, the tre's are fine but the boots need replacing on 3 of the ends. I carry currie spares, and yeah they are pricey but I have never broke and have never seen one break. And the currie stuff has better road manners by far, no noticeable tie rod roll like the 1 ton setups.

I myself broke a currie end on my last jeep. Ended up having to throw stock steering back on to get off it the trail and home. And like I said a uhmw spacer under the passenger tre on a one ton setup will keep the roll away for the life of the steering.

A uhmw spacer will take care of that roll for the life of the steering.
its a band aid at best.

it uses the same taper as stock TREs. you can throw on a stock tie rod or drag link to get you home.

this...

I myself broke a currie end on my last jeep. Ended up having to throw stock steering back on to get off it the trail and home. And like I said a uhmw spacer under the passenger tre on a one ton setup will keep the roll away for the life of the steering.
for the life of the steering?... they wear out regularly.

lets understand the problem with the inverted T setup correctly... its common on full size trucks. but in the jeep world, it is used as a cheap upgrade to beef up the steering. the problem is that the vehicles that need the beef are also lifted. inverted T works fine, assuming you keep the drag link as horizontal as possible. this makes sure that steering input is translated laterally, and not vertically causing the dreaded dead spot associated with tie rod roll.

a lot of people run it and are ok with it. ad the very least my suggestion would be to try to find someone local to you and drive their setup. its not something i could deal with personally.

A uhmw spacer will take care of that roll for the life of the steering.

To echo VAhasnoWaves...... I had these spacers on my old XJ with stock tres and upgraded tie rod. They worked great for about 2 months, then split and fell apart. I replaced them 3 times like this, and eventually my TREs were no good and it didnt matter if I had the spacer.

I have landed on my Currie tie rod many times.....in fact, it is still bent from the last ride I did, but my TREs are still tight after 2 years. The boots are cracked so until I get the time to replace the boots, I am just flushing new grease throught them bi weekly.

There are many options available. Currie is expensive but is proven, both on and off road. I will continue with my currie setup until I have enough for high steer. even then, I will probably move the currie setup to OTK and roll with it that way.

I'm speaking from experience for what worked on my rigs. Take it or leave it. Not hurting my feelings.

Well eventually all steering components wear out or break........so its really up to the owner to decide what they are comfortable with. Not trying to say one is better than the other, but experiences are like buttholes, everyone has had one that stinks from time to time:looney:

Back