• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RTI ramp build plans

KRONIK

NAXJA Forum User
i am planning to build an RTI ramp.

i am looking for suggestions on materials and over all planning.

it will ether be a two piece design that will be able to load in the back of a truck
or
it will be a trailer/tow behind type set up.

what would be the pros and cons of each?
two piece design.
pros.
1.it will be easily loaded into the back of a truck.
2.will not have to get it inspected or registered as a trailer.

cons.
1.it will need a truck for transport.

tow behind.
pros.
1.it can be transported with the jeep.

cons.
1.have to get it inspected and registered.
2.more fabrication. hitch/axle/lights.

any thoughts? suggestions? :dunno:

i also need good measurements for an RTI ramp?

thanks in advance for any assistance!

here are the measurements i have found.
rtirampplans.jpg

If you want to build one, we can do it at my place. I have a good welder and a water cooled horizontal band saw that will make things a ton easier. I would visit K&K Surplus for the bulk of the materials. Most of what you need would be considered drops and cost $.55/lb.

If you want to build one, we can do it at my place. I have a good welder and a water cooled horizontal band saw that will make things a ton easier. I would visit K&K Surplus for the bulk of the materials. Most of what you need would be considered drops and cost $.55/lb.

I may take you up on that offer!
Where is K&K located?

Yeah, I can put one together for you too and I'm only about half as far north as Tom. I also use k&k surplus a lot.

It's still up in the air. But I am working on getting the steel at little to no cost from the guy I bought my jeep from.

I just have to figure out how much and what I need. If he can get it from scrap at work it may be free.
Can anyone configure the plans above back to raw material lengths?
I don't know what they usually come in lengths of or what I exactly need to have a good RTI ramp.

I'm going to try an draw up plans for both styles.
Both based off of the plans above.

Here is the skinny........ Lol Couple years back I had a idea for a ramp that I could fold in half then slide in to my receiever and maybe have some extra lights plugged in that nounted on the ramp. Reason for it was that most of the time your going to use it you will be not wheeling so your rig can take the extra weight. But my other reason is storage, if it could fold up in half then it would be easy to store under a deck or in a shed. My other reason was registering it. My trailer which is considered a homebuilt which is half of a commanche cost me $80 a year. To me if the rti ramp cost that much to register kind of a waste if it is only used for one thing.

Great idea!! Thanks for the input!

More than likely I will be making one that would fit on the trailer with my jeep or car crush car.
It will be used for M&G/car shows.
If I can design a 2 or 3 piece design it will be possible to load it into a pick up with one person.
I'm going to draw my idea tonight.

quick drawing showing the 3 pieces.
e06f3929.jpg

obviously the supports are not correct. ether is the angle.... just an idea of the 3 different pieces.

Kronik's design wouldn't be too bad weight-wise with the correct materials....... Most ramps I've seen are over-built. No need for 1/4" thick tube and tons of gussetting.

The sections idea would work if a person could load it on a flat bed trailer under their rig when going to/from events. Piece #2 is gonna be the heaviest.

Nothing saying it has to be made into a trailer, but generally these things get built heavy and it's the easiest way to transport.

This one probably isn't built to RTI specs but you see the idea..... nothing heavy and monsterous about this one:

7505ramp.jpg

Last edited:
Kronic can you pick up a rti ramp by your self? making one strong enough to support a rig and light enough to lift is gonna be a trick
I am planning a 3 piece design. Heaviest piece being around 200lbs or so. Piece 2. It will have rollerwheels on one side.
This will allow it to be rolled to where it needs to be. I am also designing a way to use thes wheels for loading it on and off the trailer or truck.
Kronik's design wouldn't be too bad weight-wise with the correct materials....... and if a person could load it on a flat bed trailer under their rig when going to/from events. Piece #2 is gonna be the heaviest.

Nothing saying it has to be made into a trailer, but generally these things get built heavy and it's the easiest way to transport.
I was thinking about going that route.
And then I thought about the cost of licensing a home made trailer.
I also thought about maintenance.
The 3 piece design will be maintenance free. No registration needed. And it can easily be loaded onto any truck or trailer by one person.

I am going to draw up some more detailed plans. Or try.

That one could almost be flipped upside down and thrown on top of the Xj.
Hmmm. Maybe a folding type RTI ramp?
But make the angle it folds to so it could not "fold" when in use.

I like the pic of yella's idea, bet you could make it into something you put a pin into like quick disscounts or bolts. Making it to where you could make it lighter then 200 lbs. I have gotten something that heavy up on top but I could never imagine doing by yourself. I wish I could draw something up right now but I'm in new orleans and using my phone. Slow process.

That one Troy posted up is plenty. I don't understand why people make these ramps stronger than needed for a semi to drive on. I guess for piece of mind, but for piece of back keep it as light as possible.

If you can make the ramp out of 1 piece and then have the lugs fold down with some bolt in supports you could easily lay it completely flat to store on a trailer underneath your rig.

Back