• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strike Two: Jeep vs Semi

redrider2911

NAXJA Forum User
Jeep VS semi :(

DSCN3364.jpg

DSCN3365.jpg

DSCN3366.jpg

DSCN3367.jpg

DSCN3368.jpg

DSCN3369.jpg

DSCN3370.jpg

DSCN3371.jpg

DSCN3372.jpg

DSCN3373.jpg

DSCN3374.jpg

DSCN3375.jpg

DSCN3376.jpg

Re: What did you do to your XJ today

DSCN3377.jpg

DSCN3378.jpg

DSCN3379.jpg

:shocked::shocked:Holy SHITE dude... you and your girl alright? I saw blood on the pass side windshield.(n)

Let us know if you need anything

Going south on 1st at nine this morning on my way to work. Turned into the turn lane getting ready to pull into the parking lot between jack in the box and office depot and top foods. Waited till I was clear then went to cross traffic, the sun blinded me then I saw a semi come out of the shadows from the trees by jack in the crack. Was too late to stop and already in his lane, tried to hit the gas to miss him and hit damn near strait on. Rolled the jeep on its lid and threw me into the passenger seat and into the windshield. 6 Stitches in the bridge of my nose and 4 staples in the back of my head.

I am looking for another jeep shell... :(

Dam Chris I am sorry to hear that I hope you feel better. I know it sucks however we here this all the time but the Jeep can be replaced. If you were closer I would help you pull it apart..

Thanks everyone for your concerns and support. If a mod feels this should be moved to a seperate thread as well thats fine. Dont want to get this one all off track...

Wow, that's crazy. Glad to hear you're ok.

glad to hear your ok redrider. lol the factory lower arm mount tore off the axle. looks like your gona need a new skid plate.

thats one hell of a project you got there larsen. welcome to naxja

Damn Kris!

Glad your alright, and sorry about the Jeep.

Did the passenger side LCA bend at all? I'm really shocked the link and heim were able to take all that force. Especially considering your belly pan is all .250", right? :shocked:

Let me know if you want the posts moved to a separate thread for the rebuild.

Well Kris, this has to be a testimate of how strong your setup is on a brighter note

I copied this from a thread I was posting on. Explaining to a member how a 3 link crossmember takes more twisting forces while a radius arm crossmember mainly takes forward and back forces.

Amazingly it didnt rip the crossmember off and it was only bolted in with those 6 10mm bolts on the bottom! I was waiting to upgrade to my new crossmember design (if you notice this is my original single peice x member) so I didnt drill the through bolts yet. Running 7/8s heims and not a single one or arm bent or broke. The stock Passenger side LCA mount got torn off the axle and because that side took most of the force from the semi, the axle was forced to rotate backwards and forced the UCA back. Causing the whole thing to twist. Amazingly the x member is still attached to the uniframes somewhat but it did cause the inside of the frame rails to buckle in. I dont know if anything changed in the design would prevent these forces at work. I am actually really happy with what I see survived. Not a single bent link and the steering and steering box and track bar is still all attached.

On my new design the through frame bolts with the anticrush sleeves bolt to the inside of the crossmember almost right next to the UCA mount, sandwhiching the frame rail. Had I had this new design installed and the through bolts done, It probably would of "helped" take some of the twisting forces.

Semi going 35 MPH and me going about 15 or 20, Im pretty happy with what I see...

Go ahead and move this torx. Im probably going to tear down the jeep this week and start hunting for another. thanks

There was a possiblity of picking up a 98 with a blown engine and a rusted out floor pan in the back passenger seat for only 200 dollars! But somebody already got it. I dont think I want to spend the money on the late models... I like the body of them but I hate the steering wheels and some other interior details. I wouldnt mind a 91-95 though.

Dang. That REALLY sucks! Glad you're alright, and that at least a good chunk of your stuff survived...compared to what could have happened.

Personally I don't know how you can have the drive to be building new rigs so quick. I don't think I could deal with the stress of building another rig so soon.

That's a heck of a bang up job done there good thing is you are going to be ok. The rig can always be replaced a life can't.

CJ

Lol this is a case of "you thin this is bad? Ya should have seen the other guy"

Congratulations on cheating death. Very few get a second chance when taking on a semi. I hope you find your replacement rig soon. I have lines on one up here for 300. 1988 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L 4X4. over 200,000 miles. Needs new engine. Good transmisson and brakes. Need to sell ASAP. Call Bill @ 360-421-0669 for more info.

Last edited:
sheesh.. looks like you need to use stronger materiel for that cross member...

how about 5/8's plate!

Thanks guys. Thanks scatterbrained for the tip on the jeep. I know what you mean Muddy Beast but its my one and only daily driver. You gotta love jeep guys though. My business partner let me borrow his cherokee till I can get things worked out. :cheers:

I might need to beef up the crossmember... IF I PLAN ON RUNNING INTO ANY MORE SEMIS! :doh: LOL

Glad to hear you're ok. That's a nasty collision.

I feel your pain man. Sucks losing something you put so much work into. In early 08 I lost my trailer queen 96 to a concrete block while towing. Got lucky and picked up a running 98 with 4" lift for only $400. It'll all work itself out, just give er time.

Back