• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

towing an xj with my xj.

justjeep94

NAXJA Forum User
I have a quick question. Have anybody towed a xj wit their cherokee . I'm thinking about buying a cherokee this week that is 150 miles away but I'm no sure how a cherokee will do.

My cherokee is at around 5.5" to 6" lift with 33s stock gears. You think ill be fine just this time towing with it. Ill use one of those 2 wheeled trailers so the rear wheels of the xj on the ground.

Let me know what you guys think about this tow.

Personally I think it's a bad idea. Stock gears on 33's is bad enough for your transmission alone, but add lift to it and you've got stability issues too. If you have a dana 35 rear end you've also got a dangerously undersized axle for the tires and you're adding 3000# of load.

Will it do it? probably. SHould you do it? Probably not.

I'd borrow a truck personally. I would tow light loads with mine on 31's with stock gears but not in a million years would I tow another vehicle with 33's and stock gearing.

I tried this, and the towed jeep caused me to jackknife at every turn

if you are set on it, get yourself a light flatbed that has brakes, otherwise it wont work (unless someone is in towed vehicle hitting the braekes)

He said "one of the two wheeled trailers with the rear wheels still on the ground"

Which means a tow dolly. Which also means no trailer brakes and a significant impact on what's basically a 1/4 ton vehicle's brakes and suspension.

It's lifted with big tires? That's a disaster waiting to happen.

i've done it before, its not the lack of power that is the deal breaker for me, its the lack of traction to stop or turn. even with the 33s and 3.07 gearing.

i'd do it again if i needed to, but i'd rather use my tacoma, and its a 4cyl! but it's of course geared lower and handles the added weight a little better. maybe it has something to do with the taco not being a unibody. not sure.

if the trip is mostly highway, not a lot of elevation changes, you have great brakes on the jeep, and a decant hitch, you might be ok. just use common sense and plan ahead for hills and stops.

if you're pulling with an aw4 you should prob use "3" to get the tc to stay locked up more so the trans doesn't create any extra heat.

Yeah, I wouldn't try it.

I had to tow a small U-haul trailer behind my XJ (2.5'' BB) and I had
a very hard time stopping. Locking up the brakes was a big issue.

Hell, just go rent a pickup with a hitch and get the job done without endangering others on the highway. Doing stupid things that just kill you is one thing, but you have no right to endanger other people.

Hell, just go rent a pickup with a hitch and get the job done without endangering others on the highway. Doing stupid things that just kill you is one thing, but you have no right to endanger other people.

x10

We just went over this in another thread. You are endangering others when towing with a 1/4t. The truck might be able to pull it, but emergencies/accidents get their names for acts you aren't expecting. If you think you can do it but the guy pulling out of a driveway thinks he can beat you and you have to avoid him it's pretty much a done deal that something is going to go wrong. DON'T DO IT...get a tow rig at a minimum a 1/2t from a buddy and tow it.

My xj has towed 3 XJ's and 2 different ZJ's including my 5.9 with a tow dolly. the farthest i have gone was 90 miles. did the job. be safe, stay in the "slow lane" where applicable and try to avoid abbrupt maneuvars.

33s and 3.55s here (dana 44 rear)

for the record, an xj towing another xj will still stop faster then any unloaded semi truck out there.

For the record: The average driver drives a lot less hours than a semi-truck driver and has far less training.
That's where assuming comes into play. and you can never assume someones driving ability.

So, back to what i was stating. It really depends on driver. you know the equipment you are using can do it, but its up to you to do it safely.

I never assumed, I stated a fact; the average drive is far less trained than a semi-truck driver and has far less hours than a driver doing it 10 hours a day. It's a simple fact that can't be denied.

Back