• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Budget Hydro Steering!

JamesD

NAXJA Forum User
OK guys please don't FLAME because I have searched. I am looking to do the full hydro conversion but have yet so see any details on setups. I am not in a postion to spend 1200 for a kit form PSC and I am open for fabbing, woot woot. Please if anyone can post a parts list of what they used, as specific as possible with pics if you have them. I have seen a ton of write ups and they say they have parts from something generic but I want to make sure what I get is right or if you know of a place to get new parts dirt cheap to where it would be more economical to buy them than pillage another yard that would be awesome. Also if you know of anything that someone has tried that just WON'T work. Please any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks

James

Get a ram from surplus center, about $50.00
get a stock 4 Cyl xj power steering pump, made for remote res about $70.00
Get hoses and fittings about $250.00
Get laod reactive valve from Station about $350.00
Get remote Res from station about $150.00

These were the prices when I did mine

I have read those but I am trying to find parts that I can rob off of something else hence the "budget" I understand the principle behind the hydro steer I just want a cheaper way out.

You can find a return to center orbital valve off of ebay for next to nothing if you want to run full hydro. Given your cylinder bore and stroke as well as your desired lock to lock ratio, your local hydraulic shop can tell you what ratio you need. I would suggest running a dual ram cylinder. I would also run synthetic fluid in your pump with a transmission cooler mounted somewhere (I mounted mine in front of the rad) as well as a resevoir for extra fluid and a puke tank incase it gets to hot.

If you can give me some specifics on your setup as far as part numbers or application. What kind of pump are you using or are you using the stock PS pump. Also any pics are GREATLY appreciated.

Cheap

Im there..

single ended ram is cheaper then double ended ram.
2in bore 1.125in shaft 8in stroke, Cheif, Lion pick your brand.... $65ish
Use grade 8 1in bolts with metal lock nuts, but the nuts on the bottom, I used some Tierod material 1.5in 250 wall DOM for the 1in bolt to mount to the axle. I drilled it for a greas fitting
t_000_0005_129.jpg

I used factory power steering pump, Im running chevy stuff. Factory size pully is 5.75 in Diameter but a 5in would have better flow at idle in the rocks still need to address that.

Run a tranny cooler on the return line like $30..

I made a resivor out of an old popane boltte and use my old cherokee gass cap as the anti spill lid.
t_000_0005_170.jpg

Most important part is the steering valve, Return to center is not critical a single ended ram you will not want a return to center. A load sensing valve is not a return to center and you can not use it with a ps pump.

You need the correct size steerign valve or you will be turnign the steering wheel 10 times to turn left. I think 7.4 was the correct displacement for the 2in ram or 2.5in double ended ram. give you facotry clock to clock.

I bought my steering valve from a forklift salvage yard Charlin part number 211-1035 $150 + $25 for the sector shaft. It is correct displacement 7.33cuin/rev but It had no fittings. many forklift boxes use a manafold the bolts to the top. I drilled and tapped mine to Pipe fillings and was good to go.
I welded the jeep steering shaft to the input sector shaft.
t_steeringvalve2_851.jpg

Is my stock PS pump sufficient for running this system or do I need to upgrade and if so what too. I have an 89. Thanks so much guys I really appreciate the info.

Would a J20 steering pump work better in this set up?

Back