• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A few Q on trany remove???

Tranny Remove

I have a 90 and I have just recently changed the Hydraulic Throwout Bearing. I dont know how much difference there is in our jeeps, but hopefully not much. You do have to remove the CPS. It is located at the top driver side of the bell housing. I suggest dropping the tranny and engine a couple of inches to gain easier access. When I removed my shifter, I removed 4 bolts that hold it in and it came right out. I couldnt figure out to remove the handle from the shifter so I just removed the whole damn thing. As far as the starter goes, mine were regular bolts. Cant remember if they were standard or metric. Good luck with it. A good tranny jack will help a whole lot. I used a regular floor jack and it was a pain. Next time I will have the adapter.

90red.

There is (on an AX5 anyhow) a spring-loaded retainer that holds the shifter on to the top cover of the trans. Pull the shift knob and the dust boot off the shifter, then remove the 4 little bolts that hold the thick rubber seal onto the tranny tunnel, and pull up the seal. Press down on the retainer and rotate it counterclockwise 1/4 turn, and it should pop up. It's kind of hard to do if your hands or the retainer ring are greasy, so spend a minute and clean it all up before you try. Kind of hard to describe, but you'll see what I'm talking about when you do it....
HTH,
Jeff

Back