• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission & Transfer Case Towing Questions

chilibill

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 XJ with a A4W transmission and a Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD transfer case. I was preparing to tow the XJ for the first time and when I tried to put the transfer case in neutral the indicator lights never indicated “Neutral”. One of the lights always indicated I was in 4X4. I was pretty sure I was in neutral because I could put the transmission in drive or reverse and the vehicle wouldn’t move. Is there a transfer case “Neutral” indicator light or any other way to insure the transfer case is in neutral?

When I was pretty sure the transfer case was in neutral I placed the transmission in Park and when I did so I heard a sound almost like the transmission was trying to go into gear or the Park pin was trying to engage. The only time I heard this sound was when putting the transmission in Park. The XJ followed the tow vehicle with no problem, but I am worried about the noise. Any ideas what it could be or how to stop it?

I tow my 99 behind my motorhome a lot. you are right about "Natural" for the transfer case. Try turning the engine off before putting the main transmission in "park"... always be sure to unlock the steering by setting the key between lock and "on".

Man you got me thinking I had the exact same set up with the tranny/t-case but I have since swapped to a 231. I never remember a light for neutral for the t-case(242). But Don is right if it is running when your trying to get it in neutral and park for towing it will make all kinds of noise.

Back