• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detroit Locker in 8.25 Diff

TLange

NAXJA Forum User
Hello Fellow Jeepers!

I did a search on this but didn't come up with what I needed.

I have a '91 XJ with the 8.25 differential. This weekend I removed the regular Lock Right that I've had for 40000 miles and in its place installed a Detroit Locker. This is the full Detroit, not the cheap one only that replaces the spider gears. Track Tech's name for this one is "No Spin". I went with this because they are stronger.

I have a few questions for those of you who own one of these.

1) Noise -
I don't hear the clicking that the Lock Right did around corners but it pops and pings almost as much as my Lock Right did. I'm not disappointed in it, just wanted to know if this is normal operation for Detroits? If it's not normal, I'll send it back and have them send me another. If it's normal, it's fine with me. I did do the functional tests that listed in the owner's manual. It passed all the test just fine.

2) Did you have to clearence the diff housing at all?
The allen head bolts on the locker had only about .5 mm clearence in the area above the right hand side carrier bearing cap. I filed the house back a little to provide more clearence. There's about 1.5 mm now.

3) Differential heat -
I don't have any point of reference on this so I'm everyone here. I reused the old ring and pinion. I did not remove the pinion because the bearings and the seal are fine, plus I didn't want to reset pinion depth. I did replace the carrier bearings. I have about .006 of back lash and a near perfect contact pattern on the drive side of the of the ring gear. I did preload the carrier bearings to point of noticable friction on the carrier. However, the friction was not enough to prevent making an accurate back lash measurement using a dial indicator. There is no noise from the diff. at any speed below 80 MPH. I didn't drive faster then 80 during this test run. Per instructions for break-in, I drove 15 minutes at slow speeds and then let it cool off. Then I drove it on the highway for about 20 minutes.
So here's my question - Normaly, how hot does the diff. get after running on the highway for 20 minutes? When I returned, the diff. cover was cool enough to touch briefly but hot enough so I could not hold a hand on it. Would this be normal?

TIA!
Tim

Back