• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crane 8.25 diff. cover

Xtreme XJ

NAXJA Member #1138
NAXJA Member
Hey All:
Anyone have any experience with them? I believe they're cast . Does anyone know of a rockring for the Chry. 8.25. I'm looking for a rockring for the D-30 but I'm up in the air for the rear.
Thanks !
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

i dont know i was thinking of getting the same one, or getting carolina rock shop to make one for me. why wouldnt you want to upgrade the 8.25? it sits between a 44 and a 35 in my opinion. i have a factory 8.25 in mine im just going to upgrade it to 29 spline and get a locker, for what i need that will be perfect

Dude, Billy, not all of us are going to be running 60's under our junk. Maybe I will later down the road, but not yet. You know how much I got your 8.25 for, and I got another for less than half of that, with 3.07s. So now I have a set of spare shafts. When I upgrade to 29spline, or up past the 8.25, I can sell them, probably for more than I bought them for, to someone who still runs an 8.25.
And with 29spl shafts, it's supposed to be about as strong as a 44, not just between the 44 and 35, I think.
Oh yeah, with that spare 8.25 I got, I got a spare diff cover too. So I won't know about any HD diff covers until I'm running my spare OEM cover.

There isn't anything wrong with the 8.25" - besides the weak diff cover! So why wouldn't you get a rock-ring? Not everyone needs a D60.

BACK TO THE MAIN QUESTION!!!

Have you had experiences with the Crane diff cover? I'd like to know if people love them, or think they should be flipped over and used for a bed pot.

Fergie

Arakele said:
i dont know i was thinking of getting the same one, or getting carolina rock shop to make one for me. why wouldnt you want to upgrade the 8.25? it sits between a 44 and a 35 in my opinion. i have a factory 8.25 in mine im just going to upgrade it to 29 spline and get a locker, for what i need that will be perfect

Yeah, but my point is, that if an 8.25 is fine for what you do, then you probably don't need a $120, bulletproof, 1/2" thick diff cover.

Phil Weeks said:
Dude, Billy, not all of us are going to be running 60's under our junk. Maybe I will later down the road, but not yet. You know how much I got your 8.25 for, and I got another for less than half of that, with 3.07s. So now I have a set of spare shafts. When I upgrade to 29spline, or up past the 8.25, I can sell them, probably for more than I bought them for, to someone who still runs an 8.25.
And with 29spl shafts, it's supposed to be about as strong as a 44, not just between the 44 and 35, I think.
Oh yeah, with that spare 8.25 I got, I got a spare diff cover too. So I won't know about any HD diff covers until I'm running my spare OEM cover.

I just hate to see ppl dumping that much money on a bling bling diff cover (especially for a 8.25) when a piece of 1/4" strapping could cost a dollar.

Fergie said:
BACK TO THE MAIN QUESTION!!!

Have you had experiences with the Crane diff cover? I'd like to know if people love them, or think they should be flipped over and used for a bed pot.

Fergie

didn't they put these on the 'project jr' xj in the new jp mag?

Jeepfreak, you pose an interesting question...let me one-up you by asking why anyone would dump $$ into building an XJ with D60's?

Why? Because we own them.

I have 2 sets of 60's sitting in the shop as I type this...will they seen the XJ? Nope....my 29 spline 8.24 with Dutchmans is plenty of beef for the 34's...

You reason the 8.25 is too weak for a beefy rock ring...one could reason the XJ is too weak for 60's and 37" rubber.

It's all about what is feasable for you.

:D

FitchVA said:
didn't they put these on the 'project jr' xj in the new jp mag?

Yes, they did. I would rather have someone that uses it in real life tell me about it, rather than have a rag tell about how great it is for promotional purposes.

Fergie

I found these diff guards at http://www.younger-bros.com/
They have them for the 8.25 they are also on sale right now. Not advertising would just like some opinions before I through the money down for one,

Ford%20F250%20Diff%20Guard.jpg

JeepFreak21 said:
:laugh: and how much did that 44 cost you? :eek::D

Will rolled in to our local junk yard last weekend and saw an F350 sitting there...asks the owner how much for the front axle....$75...Will threw him, $100 anf the torched it out of the rig and loaded it up!! and now it sits waiting at the shop with the others....

Xtreme XJ said:
Hey All:
Anyone have any experience with them? I believe they're cast . Does anyone know of a rockring for the Chry. 8.25. I'm looking for a rockring for the D-30 but I'm up in the air for the rear.
Thanks !
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Poison spider just came out with a rock ring for the 8.25 and I think they even dropped their prices on them to around $100.

I won't make any comments on the axle upgrade....seeing as how I haven't upgraded mine yet.....I did however score a diff guard for $30. :D

Back