• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shaft Q's

Bones

NAXJA Forum User
I pulled my bent D44 apart over the last couple of days. It now sets as a bare housing ready for the shop to realign and weld the tubes up.

When I pulled the shafts I noticed a difference in their length. I knew they were not equal lengths, but I didn't expect them to be as close in length as they are. The shorter of the two shafts is the one that I have very mildly twisted. Actually, it's a very subtle spiral. When I looked at it closely, I noticed it does not engage the locker's splines very deeply. The longer side appears to engage near the middle of the shaft splines while the shorter one engages at the end 1-1.5" of the shaft. Considering the small difference in shaft lengths, can a long shaft be run on both sides? If not, can any length be added to the short shaft to engage the splines deeper?

Lastly, which side does the short shaft belong on? Mine was on the passenger side, but after the bad set up on my front gear set from the shop that did my first re-gear I want to make sure they didn't swap sides with the rear axles.

Bones :skull1:

The long axle belongs on the passenger side,I dont think it will fit on the drivers side w/o binding!The splines on mine show equal wear smarks on both sides of 1-1/2" out of the total 1-7/8"spline.

If I remember right I tried to put mine together backwards once and the long shaft would hit the cross shaft before it was in completely. I haven't pulled mine appart in a while but I remember them wearing on the same part of the shaft for both sides. Completely engaged for both but the wear started close to the end of the splines.

What carrier do you have? Look for marks on the end of the long shaft for marks that would show it was bottoming. Maybe different lockers and carriers will allow the long to fit on the drivers side.

Also Mil informed me that the short shaft will work as a spare on either side. That sounds like what happened.

Back