• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8/29 Annual Jeep Picnic on Fiesta Island

Carol.92124

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I wonder if I should post this in the "Modified" forum :looney:

The SoCalXJ group has a picnic every year down on Fiesta Island in San Diego, usually at the end of August and it's been a merged event with NAXJA for years.

This being the weirdest year I've seen yet, I still want to offer the event. I am NOT going down at 6am to try to hold a stretch of sand for everyone this year (like I usually do), but I'll get there fairly early. There's a lot of flat hardpacked sand area to park on.

Saturday August 29th, anytime b/w 6am & 10pm

West shore of Fiesta Island, where the "shortcut" comes across from the east side... roughly "1500 Fiesta Island Rd, San Diego 92109", coordinates 32.78025 -117.222500 aka 32*46'48.9"N 117*32'21.0"W

Bring your rig if you want, or whatever gets you there!!

NO potluck this year, just bring your own food & beverages.

No glass or alcohol allowed on the beach per SDPD rules, but people do get creative sometimes. Just don't get visibly stupid

Bring chairs, shade, water toys, beach toys, firewood, well behaved dogs (Fiesta Island is an OFFLEASH beach, though there's a dog park just south of where we hang out).

You can launch watercraft from the sand on Fiesta Island

Be courteous--give space to those wanting to wear masks. I don't tend to wear one at the beach when there's room around me. But I'm happy to put one on to talk to those who do, and I've given up on hugs until COVID is under control. There's plenty of space to spread out and should be room to sit around and socialize with reasonable distancing.

Mark your calendars now, it's always a good time!!

If you get lost or can't find us for some reason, I can be reached at six19 six 5 4 nine 7 five 8.

Also for those new to Fiesta Island or who have forgotten, the perimeter road is pretty flat and is great for biking, walking, running, skating/blading, etc...

Cool. I'm not getting there at 6am this year, though, Charles. We'll probably have a reasonable, but not large, turnout and I don't think we need to "save" sand space.

This is coming up soon-ish! Looking forward to seeing whoever shows up!

I'll be there before 10, not sure how truly early. I think Charles will be there much earlier. But yes, at least a few of us will be there!

So how was the picnic?

I miss being there for these sorts of events.

Very crowded...twice the usual people on the beach. Idiots driving through camps like its a race track. Morons getting there 2wd trucks buried to the axle trying to launch a boat.

It was more entertaining than usual :D

At least we didn't have a dead body like last year. although a couple of people that drove through camp did seem like they were volunteering.
There was a good showing, people coming from Rancho Cucamonga and Long Beach & East San Diego County. We all had a good time. Some with youngsters retreated to the NW lagoon area for small boating.
Sorry you all missed it, Tom!

Let's see how these upload...

PANO_20200829_114412.vr.jpg PANO_20200829_114428.vr.jpg IMG_20200829_180600.jpg IMG_20200829_141259.jpg IMG_20200829_184242.jpg

Awesome.

Looks like a reasonable turnout considering the new world order.

I think there were 33 people there in attendance across the day. Not bad, with this craziness.

Back