• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof rack to stock bars

Tonyt22

NAXJA Forum User
I have a roof rack weighs I'd say 40 pounds or so I have for stock cross bars if I bolted the rack to the bars do you think it would be fine the only thing going on the rack is going to be Jack, shovel,tie downs,recovery gear sleeping bag

I have no real idea how much all that stuff would weigh, but I want to say you'll probably be okay. They are designed to hold those cargo boxes right? But you'll have to try it out yourself.

If your worried you can go to the junkyard and get a second pair of crossbars

I have no real idea how much all that stuff would weigh, but I want to say you'll probably be okay. They are designed to hold those cargo boxes right? But you'll have to try it out yourself.

If your worried you can go to the junkyard and get a second pair of crossbars

I have 4 in total I guess I'll have to get a photobucket to post pictures

For several years straight I have kept a Yakima cargo box fully loaded on a pair of factory roof bars. This load includes 6 sleeping bags, a Coleman tent, a mess kit, a one burner stove, a couple of recovery straps and a variety of other camping necessities. In essence it is a full camp site. I don't know the exact weight, but moving it around is definitely a two man job. Factory roof bars have not had any issues with it, and that includes trail use.

For several years straight I have kept a Yakima cargo box fully loaded on a pair of factory roof bars. This load includes 6 sleeping bags, a Coleman tent, a mess kit, a one burner stove, a couple of recovery straps and a variety of other camping necessities. In essence it is a full camp site. I don't know the exact weight, but moving it around is definitely a two man job. Factory roof bars have not had any issues with it, and that includes trail use.

Thanks for the info I bolted my rack down to all four bars I can grab and shake the whole xj from the rack and not a single budge I think it will be fine

I've ran different racks both homemade and store bought on XJs, and a large sears branded cargo box.

I've always found the stock rack to be adequate but I dont try to put half the Jeep's weight on the roof either.

The most weight I ever carried up there was a spare tire and one can of gas and one of water. Most other times i put the the lightest stuff up there like sleeping bags and what not and put the heavy stuff in the cab.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Ok I see your roof rack and raise you a roof tent. Do you guys think a Roof Tent would work on Factory cross bars? Thinking of getting a Yakima Skyrise 2.

The tent iself is 100lbs, plus 2 people 200 lbs; they say 1/3 of the weight is supported by the ladder. So (100+2×200)×2/3 = 333lbs on the roof rack? Doable? I also have an extra pair of cross bars so could spread the weight across 4 crossbars total.

On a stationary vehicle probably.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Back