• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Arms installs

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK.... I did it.... I placed the order..... and I ordered
1. RE3700 Control Arm SF2 Lower Fixed
2. RE3780 Control Arm SF2 Upper Ft ADJ

So now..... here comes the question: How do I want to go about the install??? Also along with that, I am replacing the bushings in the upper arms on the axle end (might as well since I'm taking things appart anyways :D

Remi, Lots of WD-40 or the like before hand. Spray the nuts several days before you try to take them off. I ended up torching one of the LCA bolts off. I found other than that, the install was very simple.

The LCAs have grease zerks on the bottom end, first grease them before you put the bolt through the bottom joint. Second, make sure the zerks point in such a way that you will be able to get a grease gun on them later. Third, don't try to tighten the zerks up alot, the threaded part will break off.

Do you have the adjustable track bar yet? I am curious how it will handle with out one?

Last edited:
if you are lucky enough to have the LCA axle mount rubber bushing be stuck to the mount, you can either grind the rubber with some coarse wood bit, or burn it out.

One arm/one side at a time.Dont worry about the grease zerks,just use 90* fittings on the lower and upper fittings(the bolt has no revelence).WD-40 is no good,use PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench!

Like Phx said, do one arm at a time if you can get away with it. If you pull them all off at once it will be more difficult to get the uppers to line back up.

You may also want to check your upper axle bushings & get them now so you dont have to make a mad dash later. Another thing to consider while you're at it is some ORGS mini-skids to protect those new pretty lowers.

A come along works great if you need to pull the axle to get everything lined up. One at a time is the way to go though! Good luck. JP

OK, couple questins
1. I have mini skids and now that you're saying that I should make sure which way grease zerks point or I will have trouble later, I am worried.... Is it possible that the zerk will be hidden by them? Or is it moveable piece that can be adjusted to point/stick out in any direction needed?? (don't have the arms yet :( )

2. Forget WD40..... I use PB Blaster with great results! and I will start at least a week ahead of the install time

3. For taking hte bushings out, I was already thinking about drilling them out, and then someone suggested cutting (notching) the sleeve up afterward and crushing it in..... so I think that will be my course of action. ANy thoughts, comments on putting new ones in???

4. Adjustable trackbar.... well.... lets just say.... I'm working on that :D

5. Probably most important. As I am going to be working with adjustable uppers, fixed lowers, how am I supped to go abour adjusting them? Is there a process? or a measurement of one vs the other for a starting point?? Oh wise ones (or rather those who have spent many a sleepless night in the garage or driveway battling this problem) please share you knowledge :D

Thanks
Remi

My old bushings usually just fall out :eek: It's getting the new ones in that is tough!

JKTXJ said:
My old bushings usually just fall out :eek: It's getting the new ones in that is tough!

I know it won't happen to me..... it's like the bolts on the sway bar: everyone said theirs fell out... I had to drill the SOB's out!

98xj in so-cal and you're worried? You guys don't even have seasons over there!

Do the lower arms first and then putz around with caster with a bottle jack under the pinion. Find the length that works for you and bolt everything up. A bottle jack between the frame rail and coil mount works wonders to get everything lined up.

how do I figure out the caster and adjust it?? Sorry... I'm totally green when it comes to this... I'm good in following instructions though :D (detailed ones LOL)

Remi, Ge tahold of ChixJeff, our nieghbor at Moab. He has adjustable LCAs, ask him how he went about getting them right. Heworked on them for a while I know.

Back