• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What I have to do before the Moab trip

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone who has seen me in the last 7 months has seen be hobbling around. I finally got the definative answer as to why.

heel.jpg

While in China last year, I got sick from the water. The docs gave me a common medicine called Cipro. It sometimes has a nasty side effect that causes tendon tears. Well I tore my Achilles Tendon. Luckily it wasn't all the way through, but it is bad enough that I have to have fairly extensive surgery to fix it and it takes a long time to rehab. I'm hoping I can get it back to the point so I can do at least some wheeling this spring/summer.

The funny part is that I had to have my left wrist operated on just before Christmas so when I get the ankle worked on, I can use both hands for crutches. This getting old crap is a bitch.:rattle:

thats not too bad. wrap it in duct tape and walk it off.

feel ya on gettin old. be 40 this year and if i sit for too long, the upper and lower joints in my knees hurt

Sonuva...... ouch. That sucks Tom.

The healing process with tendons and cartilage is particularly time consuming since they aren't blood-borne tissues....... I was off my leg (knee) for 6 weeks before I was allowed to start to weight bear on it due to the torn meniscus......

How 'bout something like this?

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/tag/medicine/

500x_freedom_leg.jpg

Video of it being used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-0AeiJ7Y64

Man, I'd have loved having something like this after my knee surgery......

Ouch! That sucks. I don't think I ever want to have to go to China, show them how to do our jobs with cheap labor, drink their water, spend my entire time on the shitter in a dirty hospital, and finally - come back home and catch crap from users on NAXJA! :D

FIXED!

Thanks for the link Troy, I'm going to see about getting one on order before the surgery.

sry to here about ur knee. I had knee surgery last year, a liquid cooled air cast and morphine work great for me. Im not sure the real name of the cast but talk to your doctor to see if he can get u one.

Hi Jim. How you doing. I've been meaning to get down to see you but I still haven't totally shaken the flu and I didn't think you would appreciate it.

As for the honeys, you have to watch it. If you got ahold of a piece of that you would probably have a heart attack......meh.....not a bad way to go. :laugh3:

Man, that is some nice imaging -- even a dolt like me can see what the problem is!! Its the left? I think Yella's dohicky might be the trick for gettin in/out of the jeep in moab!!:woohoo:

Yes it is the left. My XJ is an automatic. I wore a walking cast for two months and didn't have problems driving. The problem is putting all your weight on the left while you swing your right leg up into the vehicle.

The hinges on the door are already tearing loose so putting a bunch of weight on the door isn't the best idea.

Back