• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mix & Match Lockers?

Thanks. Sounds like there's not much to worry about.
Coming in on the tail end of this discussion I'll admit up front that I have far less experience than most guys here. What I do have tho, is a bad experience on-road with a rear auto-locker in slippery road conditions. With these conditions, the auto locker will apply power to the slipping wheel - which makes it spin even more. This has the potential to throw your rear end sideways. You might want to think about that when putting an auto locker in the rear & using the Jeep on-road. Many guys here will say "I've had no issues", but in a surprise emergency situation which requires split second reaction, natural instinct sends your foot to the brake pedal. Plan to go sideways and pray there's nothing in your path. In my situation, a telephone pole was across the road to welcome my front end.

Building my new XJ, I have selectable front & rear - more expensive, yes, but the rear doubles as a Limited slip when it's turned off. For me, this is the perfect setup and I will have it no other way.

..... auto locker will apply power to the slipping wheel - which makes it spin even more. This has the potential to throw your rear end sideways.

This is true, but a Limited Slip behaves almost exactly the same. Driving a rear wheel drive vehicle in winter weather is a learned skill, you have to pay more attention to the traction or lack of traction available at the rear tires, and be much more gentle applying either throttle or brakes. I learned to drive in Minnesota winters with a full size 4 door Ford and a 400 cubic inch motor under the hood.

I can drift my rear axle auto locker XJ sideways, straight down the middle of a snow covered street, for about a city block.

That’s not cost effective.

Can you explain why not?

I was thinking of getting a ready built axle from East Coast Gear Supply. Not the cheapest way to go, but it arrives ready to bolt on.

Because when OP says he is considering a new axle from ECGS it's very cost effective.

Let's compare

New Currie 9" - $1189

• +31 spline 1504 Alloy Axles
  • +New housing
  • +Nodular Iron 3rd Member
  • +Daytona Pinion Support
  • +Semi-Float W/ No C-Clips
  • +bolt on disk-brake support
  • -doesn't include calipers
Reman'd ECGS 8.8" - $1444

• -Used stock shafts
  • -C-clip axles
  • -stock diff cover
  • +includes gear oil
  • +includes used calipers
  • -40 to 45 day ship time
So when you add in a disc brake kit to the 9" the 9" is $23 more expensive and idk about you but I would pay $23 to get away from c-clip axles, have a removable 3rd member, alloy axle shafts, larger gears, bigger pinion bearings, and the option to build the axle up even stronger down the road.

Can you explain why not?

Because when OP says he is considering a new axle from ECGS it's very cost effective.

Let's compare

New Currie 9" - $1189

• +31 spline 1504 Alloy Axles
  • +New housing
  • +Nodular Iron 3rd Member
  • +Daytona Pinion Support
  • +Semi-Float W/ No C-Clips
  • +bolt on disk-brake support
  • -doesn't include calipers
Reman'd ECGS 8.8" - $1444

• -Used stock shafts
  • -C-clip axles
  • -stock diff cover
  • +includes gear oil
  • +includes used calipers
  • -40 to 45 day ship time
So when you add in a disc brake kit to the 9" the 9" is $23 more expensive and idk about you but I would pay $23 to get away from c-clip axles, have a removable 3rd member, alloy axle shafts, larger gears, bigger pinion bearings, and the option to build the axle up even stronger down the road.

You forgot to add a pumpkin, gears, and diff!

You forgot to add a pumpkin, gears, and diff!

On curries website it says the 3rd member is included under specs but you may be right it's not included. If it's not here is a 9" from QP. They will weld on the leaf spring perches if you supply them with the width. Only thing it is lacking is shock mounts but you can just cut off your stock mounts and weld them onto the new housing.

I selected a spool but you can pick an open case, TruTrac, or a Detroit. If you go with a 3rd member that uses a 3.25" carrier bearing case you can find used Detroits on Ebay for ~$200 in great condition.

qK6svBW.png

I really hate that we can't edit posts. You can save even more money buy not buying new QP axles. You can grab USA gear axles from Amazon for $70/ea (non-alloy).

Back