• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recommendation for 2000 XJ Steering Kit

jcasar

NAXJA Forum User
I want to fix a couple of issues with my XJ steering. It is a little loose, occasionally vibrates, and sometimes clunks when going over rough ground. The steering box just started leaking and I've read about the benefit to completely replace it. What is a good kit for the rest of the steering parts?

The Jeep is stock. I'm aiming at cheapest parts that are reliable for a daily driver and light off-road.

First off, welcome to NAXJA!

Avoid Cardone remanufactured. Figure out what's bad and replace just that. Aftermarket quality is generally poor, to the point where the "new" parts are just as worn out as the old.

Crawl under the front and look at and feel everything while someone moves the steering wheel back-n-forth. Pay attention to tie rod ends, ball joints, track bar mounts, control arm bushings, slop in the steering box, the steering box itself moving with respect the the frame, etc.

Vibration is more likely to be tires, drive shaft or u-joints.

My 2c for easy things I did on my stock DD: Look into putting on a C-Rok steering box stabilizer, ZJ Tie Rod upgrade, replace all bushings (I used moogs), new SS, TREs. I got a reman steering box from BlueTop. Nice box and the guy Ryan there is great with customer svc and communication. Good luck

Back