• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tight steering woes..continue

I had trouble keeping mine in the center turned out to be the top trac bar mount. Worth a look.
Isolating the box seems like a good idea. At this point, you don't really know if it is the box, the column, or the steering linkages. Or maybe a little bit of all three.
Trying to remember exactly what it was (I'm old) but I had some issue with the steering wheel position lock. The locking pawl was dragging. The cable mount by the shifter had an issue. Exactly what the issue was escapes me.

Thx always. Denverd1: I have a C-rok brace on the frame. It's tight. Ya I need to isolate the problem. I don't think its the castor now either. If I had to guess, it feels like it's up by the steering wheel. Like, it's stiff from immediately when I turn the wheel even a 1/2 inch. Like even before the linkage is probably engaging. If I didn't know anything, I'd say it feel like there's a screw in the center of my steering wheel holding it on, any somebody tightened it down too tight. I'll try to take video. 8mud: locking pawl? position lock- the thing that locks the wheel when the key is out? Don't know these things.

The hunt continues.. stay tuned.

Tilt steering wheel? I'm trying to think of something out of the ordinary. The bolts backing out of the tilt joint are pretty common. The column usually flops around a little, but maybe it was just one bolt that is jamming somehow?

I'll investigate the steering wheel. One note, I was told by a shop that my control arm bushings were worn, and that would prevent it from staying in proper alignment. I doubt that could tighten the steering that much (I'd expect looseness?) but that was their theory. Also, the steering box manufacturer has offered to send a replacement. Proper customer service by them. So I may try that, since I am really stuck.

The bushing would impact the caster but no where near causing your issue. I'd definitely go for the new steering box!

I'll investigate the steering wheel. One note, I was told by a shop that my control arm bushings were worn, and that would prevent it from staying in proper alignment. I doubt that could tighten the steering that much (I'd expect looseness?) but that was their theory. Also, the steering box manufacturer has offered to send a replacement. Proper customer service by them. So I may try that, since I am really stuck.

get that puppy on the way

Following up - got the new BlueTop box in. It's maybe a little better. But still on the stiff side. I'm soon replacing LCAs, UCAs. Don't know what else to do. Gonna put some miles on it and see if things loosen up. But I would say, this problem has not been solved yet.

500 miles on new box. Problem still there. New control arms going in soon. But I don't think this is the problem. Soooo stumped. It's like, my steering pumping is operating at 1/2 power or something. But it's my 5th pump this year. Is there something in the system that could be delivering less power to pump? Belt looks fine. I need to investigate this bolts backing out in the steering column theory.

Just so stuck. Thing is a PITA to drive. Not giving up.

Any thoughts still appreciated. I have googled so many threads on this and it in not an uncommon problem. But I have not found a thread with a solution, other than that the later model XJs had tighter steering. I don't think that's the situation here.

Thx for any ideas

TJ

1991 XJ 5 speed 4x4 stock 4.0HO

I am following your thread with great interest. I have a '98 XJ with 155,000 miles, completely stock, with all original steering components and just the opposite problem. That is steering is loose, the Jeep wanders side to side and requires constant attention & correction. Local shop inspected twice, including test drives, reports everything is fine, within specs. Off road at trail speeds the problem is noticeable but not too bad. But at highway speeds it wanders more than is acceptable. The wheel feels loose, six or more inches of steering wheel free play when turned side to side from center, engine off. Same with engine on.

I suspect a worn steering box. I attempted tightening it, maybe to much, as it became difficult to steer, and no centering. I backed off the box and have just lived with the wandering since then.

I am hoping you will discover and correct your problem, and by reporting your success here, I might have more ideas to pursue improving my favorite off road ride.

I am following your thread with great interest. I have a '98 XJ with 155,000 miles, completely stock, with all original steering components and just the opposite problem. That is steering is loose, the Jeep wanders side to side and requires constant attention & correction. Local shop inspected twice, including test drives, reports everything is fine, within specs. Off road at trail speeds the problem is noticeable but not too bad. But at highway speeds it wanders more than is acceptable. The wheel feels loose, six or more inches of steering wheel free play when turned side to side from center, engine off. Same with engine on.

I suspect a worn steering box. I attempted tightening it, maybe to much, as it became difficult to steer, and no centering. I backed off the box and have just lived with the wandering since then.

I am hoping you will discover and correct your problem, and by reporting your success here, I might have more ideas to pursue improving my favorite off road ride.

Have you tried another shop and get a second opinion?

You have something lose somewhere. Have someone move the steering wheel-back-n-forth with the jeep on the ground, while you look at and feel all the joints for play. Common culprits are the tie-rod ends, track bar, broken steering box mount, etc. I would also look at the steering shaft between the box and the steering wheel to see if the joints there are blown out. Watch the output versus input of the steering box to get an idea whether the play is in the box itself (likely not if tightening the adjustment made it bind up).

Following up - got the new BlueTop box in. It's maybe a little better. But still on the stiff side. I'm soon replacing LCAs, UCAs. Don't know what else to do. Gonna put some miles on it and see if things loosen up. But I would say, this problem has not been solved yet.

Don't suppose you checked out the steering column while you had the box out?

A 1991 is still a GM column without a clockspring that could get damaged by spinning the steering wheel disconnected right?

Don't suppose you checked out the steering column while you had the box out?

A 1991 is still a GM column without a clockspring that could get damaged by spinning the steering wheel disconnected right?

Good advice.

Try disconnecting things and evaluating resistance. Situation won't be apples to apples, but you should be able to turn a disconnected column effortlessly. Likewise for the gearbox with the draglink disconnected.

Get the front tires off the ground and try to move them back and forth by hand while the draglink is disconnected. With the tires off the ground it should not be hard to move them by hand from lock to lock.

I need to try these things. I do not have air bags. So turning the column disconnected should be fine. I will report back. Before installing the new gearbox, no way could I turn those gears by hand. And prob not without some reasonable leverage. I am assuming that is normal for a new gearbox though..?

Still on the hunt. Must solve.

Really?? I mean, no way in a million years could I have turned the gears by hand. I tried. Not even a hint of moving. It felt like it was locked in place literally. I assumed that's what they feel like, and the leverage the steering system puts on it allows it to move easily. I mean, it was not budging a hair. I doubt I could moved it with vise grips or anything.

Guy at BlueTop says he sets them on the bench and he's done hundreds and never had a complaint like mine. Also, this is the second one I've tried from him.

Could this be part of the issue? Hm.

more info for you..

have an old steering box laying around -unconnected power steering lines.
(she leaked alot at the seals and bearings were quite worn and never adjusted the tightening nut.)

I can apply maybe 20-30lbs of effort to rotate it via the pit arm.

IMHO. I'd take everything apart.
check steering wheel to steering box for resistance.
then, remove drag link from pitarm and try wheels drag link for resistance (wheels in the air). isolating the steering box. maybe drop the drag link and just try turning via the steering wheel.. checking for resistance. check everything.

I basically just replaced from steering box down. not that hard if you have a pit arm puller.

what are the condition of your tires?

Sure the power steering lines are connected properly? consider everything.

With the wheels in the air, pretty sure you should be able to turn the tires by hand.

GL

Back