• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front D30 Axle Shaft Swap Question

workboots

NAXJA Forum User
Are D30 shafts the same between 98 and 2000? The 98 has a high pinion and the 2000 has a low pinion D30. Are the shafts interchangable?

Thanks

Never really thought about.
Easiest thing to do is look them up.
See if the part numbers are the same for each year.
If this were me to be on the safe side I would use '01 instead of '00.
Despite the fact that I think the change was made mid year in '99.

Don't forget to check the section with Frequently Asked Questions and Writeups

Read this > https://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=245269210&postcount=22

XJ/TJ/ZJ D30 unit/bearing hubs, disk brake rotors, brake calipers, and axle shafts are interchangeable for all years 1990-2001, and for HP vs. LP. You just need to have the rotor type, match the hub type, cast vs. composite. Or, just swap the hubs and rotors as a matched set. Most (or nearly all) XJ, MJ, TJ, and ZJ D-30 axle parts interchange. The only D30 parts that will not interchange, HP vs. LP, are the ring and pinion gears.

Last edited:
I looked at Rock Auto. They listed the Doorman as 97-01. Also, the hub bearings and rotors need to match. I think I have swapped 2000 Hubs and rotors onto a '98.

I looked at Rock Auto. They listed the Doorman as 97-01. Also, the hub bearings and rotors need to match. I think I have swapped 2000 Hubs and rotors onto a '98.

All the axles will inter-change but the earlier ones had the smaller u-joint.

Back