• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What passenger side drop transfercase will bolt to 1985 XJ?

Sample

NAXJA Forum User
The XJ is a 2.8 w/auto tranny. Don't know what type of transmission it is yet. I have yet to pick up the XJ. Is there a passenger side transfercase that would bolt to the transmision?

auto will be either tf999 or tf904. Np207 is usually behind these. Although it is a drivers side output. I am unsure of a pass side output t/c that will work for your application.

Since it is a MOPAR tranny, if you are willing/capable of doing some parts swapping you can change the output shaft and tailhousing assembly and bolt on a D300. Currently you would have the 21 spline output shaft and you need a 23 spline as any transfer case with a Pside drop that will work for you will have the 23 spline input. Douple check this though as I am not certain of what Jeep used in the early XJ's. If it has a 23 spline output you are golden.

If you have a 21 spline output the transmission has to come completely apart for this swap though. Donor vehicles would be a 80 - 85 CJ or possibly a cheaper route as most think CJ parts are made of gold ;) would be a AMC Eagle or similar all wheel drive car of the same vintage. They used a 904/999. We regularly use this transmission to do automatic swaps into CJ/YJ, a D300 will bolt directly to it as the local salvage yards regard the AMC cars as junk.

Bob

I have an '85 Limited Wagoneer, it has a 2.5L auto with the 904.
From 1984-1986 the 904 had an AMC pattern for the AMC 2.5L. The 904 was also used from 1984-1986 in XJs and MJs with the 2.5L and 2.8L engine. If your Jeep says "Selec Trac" on it anywhere, then you have a NP229. I've been told for my Jeep, which has the 229, the newer 231 is a bolt in swap. I'd look into replacing it with a 231. It can come from either an YJ or XJ, but you may need to alter your driveshafts lengths. Go with the 231!

229 wasn't used in the little XJ platform. The 22? that you are thinking of is a 228. the difference is the 228 has a spidergear coupler in it and the 229 has a viscous coupling. and why do you want to put a passenger drop in it anyway?

barillms said:
I have an '85 Limited Wagoneer, it has a 2.5L auto with the 904.
From 1984-1986 the 904 had an AMC pattern for the AMC 2.5L. The 904 was also used from 1984-1986 in XJs and MJs with the 2.5L and 2.8L engine.

Ahhh no,that would be the GM 60* pattern.And you will need a 23 spline output.When you have 23 spline output you could use a D300 or a dodge NP208.
OlyWa

IdahoEagle said:
229 wasn't used in the little XJ platform. The 22? that you are thinking of is a 228. the difference is the 228 has a spidergear coupler in it and the 229 has a viscous coupling. and why do you want to put a passenger drop in it anyway?

My question is what is the performance difference between the spidergear coupler and the viscous coupling? I own an 85 wagoneer which originally had the 228 and I replaced with the 229. My 228 had a sensor on it for low fluids and the 229 does not. I thought that was the only difference between the two. Always learning something new.
One more question, why do you want to go to a passenger side tranfer case? Sounds like more work than I would want to do. Just curious.

Kim.

Sample said:
The XJ is a 2.8 w/auto tranny. Don't know what type of transmission it is yet. I have yet to pick up the XJ. Is there a passenger side transfercase that would bolt to the transmision?

No bolt up PS drop option.

21 spline PS drop, the Toyota truck T-cases are 21 spline, PS drop, Gear not chain driven, 4.7 gear options and dual t-case options. It could be made to work, dont know how close a fit.

You could swap in a 23 spline XJ tranny 91+, the d300 not a bolt on but easy to modify has 4:1 gear options and can be split (front dig), or 79-80 dodge 203 also 23 spline, bullet proof, PTO output, Differential for 4wd, chain, or easily to use as a doubler for a d300 or 205 but needs serious floor cutting to tuck it under an xj.

203-205 mounting is what Ive been working on this week. 205s are DS or PS drop. i had to remove my DS seat to fit the 205 high enough to clear the frame rails, now I need to make new seat brackets..

have fun. Id try toyota.

if your hoursepower numbers are low and your tire size choice is a little less than ambitious - id look into a Sami t-case - with 6:1 kits costing somewhere like 800 - that has to be the cheapest on the market...

The reason for pass. drop is that I already have a set of Chevy axles (d44 and 12 bolt), I plan on doing leaves up front. I want to run the set of 36" IROK's that I have that are already mounted to 6 lug wheels.

I am too poor to do a complete engine/trans/tcase swap right now, so I was going to run the 2.8 motor and trans and try to get a tcase to put on the back of them.

I plan on running around 5.13 gears.

Is it possible to change a 23 spline input case to 21 splines?

IdahoEagle said:
THE 229 WAS USED in XJs, c'mon dude. My Wagoneer is an XJ! The 229 is the Selec Trac trasfer case that was used in 84, 85, 86. It has the vacuum actuated 2wd/4wd feature that is a flip switch on the center console that is routed directly to the TC. The output shafts are 32 spline, it has 4H N 4L.
the 228 is very similar from what I understand. The 229 "Selec Trac" is a center locking viscous coupler within the TC. In 4H it allows each driveshaft to spin at different speeds. In 4L it locks. The tranny used is the 904.

Sample said:
The reason for pass. drop is that I already have a set of Chevy axles (d44 and 12 bolt), I plan on doing leaves up front. I want to run the set of 36" IROK's that I have that are already mounted to 6 lug wheels.
I am too poor to do a complete engine/trans/tcase swap right now, so I was going to run the 2.8 motor and trans and try to get a tcase to put on the back of them. I plan on running around 5.13 gears.
Is it possible to change a 23 spline input case to 21 splines?
You sound like you're a young dude... and your customizing your Jeep to fit the axles and wheels/tires you already have, right?
Ok here's what to do... (trust me)
Ditch the entire leaf spring idea, seriously. Way more trouble than you need.
-Sell the Chevy 6 bolt wheels, Sell the tires! Sell the Chevy axles too!
Those Chevy axles are too wide, and you'll have to reweld all kind of stuff onto those things to make them work, not the mention the TC drop problem.
Now, be smart here... Your stock TC Is fine, right? Don't mess with it.
Your stock axles are fine, right? Don't mess with them.
That engine won't even turn 36s IROKs in high range- those tires are useless to you. Use the money from all the Chevy stuff to buy a decent 3" lift kit and shocks on sale - assuming you haven't lifted it yet. Use your stock wheels, buy some TSL LTBs 31" or 32" and trim your fenders. You'll have to relocate your front brake hard line mounts down 3". YES, 36s" are cool, but so are 32s". You can have just as much fun with 32s as you can with 36s, and it's WAY easier! Then, you can spend your time wheeling instead of dreaming about wheeling your Jeep with 36s....

Last edited:
Wow..the Spobi is flowing today.....

Sample....YOU TOOK MY TRANNY!!!! :)
I was trying to cut a deal with Rix to get it..:) No biggie...It gives me a chance to rebuild mine.

1. the 228 AND 229 cases were offered in XJ's...BOTH are fulltime cases.
2. The transmission is an A904..Almost the same as a 727TF
3. That transmission is like finding GOLD..Seeing as it was cast by ZF in Germany, and built in detroit.
4. the axles are NOT the strongest..Seeing as the rear axle is a 2 piece unit, with no c-clips. the axle flange is pressed onto the axle.
5. One redeeming value is the FIXED REAR YOKE on the tcase.
6. the 2.8 used in the AMC XJ's WILL turn a set of 36's..Just not well STOCK....Drop in a FI setup, or even a 3.4 and go to town.
7. Having axles laying around means he's thinking about a swap..The stock 35, and 30 WILL NOT HOLD 36's AT ALL..ESPECALLY with the AMC axles.
8. t-case drops are NOT needed for around 5 inches on the AMC FIXED yoke XJ's..I'm at 4" and NO, REPEAT NO Vibes. Sure I needed a longer D-shaft, but that's IT.
9. A better option might be to scrap the entire AMC drivetrain, and drop in a SBC, and tranny/case combo out of a Blazer....Seeing as they had PAss. Drop cases. It's not as hard as you think.
10. Do what YOU want...Not what a BB says is "Best for you"

PM me over there--------> andI'll pass on some sage advice.

Back