• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rollins Pass

XJTodd

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone been over Rollins Pass recently? Last fall I headed that direction (en route to Grand Lake) but turned back shortly up the road of 119 because of the sign saying it was closed. I've heard that it's been closed for a while, yet some say it's passable by our types.

Anyone got the full scoop of current condition?

I ran Rollins Pass just the other day. We were able to make it all the way to the top, and all the way to the tunnel. At the beginning it says its closed 15 miles up. And thats where the tunnel is. It looks like they have plowed it all the way to the top. Then when you get there theres a road number 5011, I think, cant quite remember. A bunch of hikers said I wouldent make it, but we did. My dad full size F150 made it as well. Its just a little shelf road and it takes you to the tunnel.

The official road is closed.

You can make it to the other side if you don't "Tread Lightly."

In other words - it is possible, but you would have to blaze your own trail to do it.

In other words....don't do it!

I see. OK, thanks for setting that straight.

WOW! That says a lot too. It's too bad the counties have a bad taste in their mouth from those that don't respect our wilderness:
"Boulder County commissioners said last week they were hesitant to reopen the pass in part because increased traffic on the road could lead more off-roaders to explore unofficial side paths like Forest Service Road 501 and damage the forest."

Back