• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pictures.....

ChiXJeff

Curmudgeon
NAXJA Member
The g/f & I spent a few days up in the Keweenaw Peninsula recently. Here's a few pics: Da YooPee Take a look in the middle for the HJ......

And for summer vacation: Summer Vacation

Nice pics Jeff, It's been to many years since I've been up there.

You're the only person I know who goes on vacation to work.

For a couple of weeks a year, I don't really call it work. And any day I'm not in Chicago is a good one.

Mark Hinkley said:
What a piece of equipment! :D

It's, uh, pretty unique.

I hauled the shaker half up to a hydraulics shop last spring, loaded up on a 24' gooseneck. With the tarp frames fully collapsed, it still hung off the right side by almost a foot. Looked like a mobile jungle gym. At the last stoplight north in Petoskey, someone in a 5th wheel camper rolled the window down and asked me just what the heck that thing was!

ChiXJeff

I remember you talking about this operation out at Paragon this past summer ... during lunch atop Rattlesanke Trail (if I remember the trail name correctly). It sounded like a pretty interesting harvest process ... much more so now with pics.

Question - You noted this particular type shaker has to be used with tree properly pruned. I'm sure this is necessary to keep limbs from falling onto the tarp during harvest. I did noticed in the pics there still was a bit of leaf trash, etc in the crop as it was on the tarp, yet the fruit in the tanks look pretty clean. Obviously there must be a way this is removed. How, and is there a dock for foreign material when it's sold?

Nice write up Jeff ...

Les

lbexj said:
I remember you talking about this operation out at Paragon this past summer ... during lunch atop Rattlesanke Trail (if I remember the trail name correctly). It sounded like a pretty interesting harvest process ... much more so now with pics.

Question - You noted this particular type shaker has to be used with tree properly pruned. I'm sure this is necessary to keep limbs from falling onto the tarp during harvest. I did noticed in the pics there still was a bit of leaf trash, etc in the crop as it was on the tarp, yet the fruit in the tanks look pretty clean. Obviously there must be a way this is removed. How, and is there a dock for foreign material when it's sold?

Nice write up Jeff ...

Les

Leaf trash, dead wood and larger branches are removed manually - that was one of my jobs on the 3 days I spent helping Jeff with the harvest (in addition to helping load the truck, fill the tanks, clean the machines, and run the chainsaw to clear bad/broken limbs before the harvester gets to them...).

<grim> Immortal, Mt. Bohemia is 400 miles from there....... </grin>

Thanks for the update, Dave. BTW, Les, there is also a fan underneath the lift conveyor to blow the light stuff over the top of the tank. The major pruning is to keep the lowest limbs high enough to get the harvesters underneath easily.

Back