• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Safari rack

rsliman

NAXJA Forum User
I was at Lowes the other day, just walking around, and I came across something that may be of interest to you. They sell these pre made steel fence sections, one of the sizes they have fits between the luggage rails on an xj perfect (44 x 68). Now it may not be a true safari rack because it has no sides, but you could strap anything on to it once mounted, and it would be very low profile, and cheap at only $74, plus its already painted. Ill post some pics as soon as I figure ot how to mount it...

What kind of steel? Chain link, expanded metal, etc?

Sounds interesting. I like the idea of having a low profile roof rack to cut down on wind drag when not loaded up.

Post some pics when you figure it out.

its made out of 1inch square tube for the frame, and 1/2 inch square tube for the crossmembers. The crossmembers run the length of the section, and are about 4 inches on center. all the joints are welded, and it looks pretty good

Back