• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 point harness install question

scorpio_vette

NAXJA Forum User
i'm constantly in the process of building up my cherokee, but have to do it little by little since it's also my daily driver. i want a cage really bad which would cancel the question i'm about to have, but first i need to do some other work on the jeep to make sure it can take me to work and the trail.
ssoooo..........

is there any way to properly install a 3, 4, or 5 point harness without a cage (cage will come within the next year)??? i was thinking if there is some way to put a crossbar behind the seats to attach to, but not sure what i would have to do to make it strong enough.

my jeep has no interior other than the 2 front seats, so i'm not worried about having to mod something on the interior.

You could install just a B pillar hoop to begin with. this will allow for a seat belt bar, and could be the build point for the cage when you're able. That at leastis what I did.

I'm in the process of doing mine now...

cage1.JPG

Right now the left-side lower strap is just connected to the old seat belt bolt. This isn't as big a deal with a unibody as it is in a body-on-frame vehicle, but I'll probably end up changing that anyway. If you were to just do a b-pillar hoop you might be able to use both seat belt bolts for your lower straps, although the right side one is pretty far back.

Rev Den said:
Weld a bar across the B pillers at the correct height.

DO NOT TIE THE SHOULDER BELTS TO THE FLOOR!

Rev

don't worry. that's why i asked for the "proper" way to do it.

do you mean just running a straight bar across connecting the 2 B pillars, or actually re-enforcing them using a hoop like DaffyXJ said???

would a single hoop setup similar to what vetteboy has behind his seats work by itself, or would it have to be secured more with braces going to the front/rear???

Well, it's going to be an 8-point cage when it's done. The front half is all I have installed so far.

Do you have access to a tube bender, or were you just going to keep straight pieces? Even if you just weld a single tube across the B-pillar, it'll probably need to be bent to give you enough clearance for the seat.

4 point w/o a cage is stupid. if you roll it, your pinned up and down, and if the roof crushes down, it could snap your neck/smash your head.

tealcherokee said:
4 point w/o a cage is stupid. if you roll it, your pinned up and down, and if the roof crushes down, it could snap your neck/smash your head.

well as i said, the full cage is planned. the reason i want the harness right now, isn't because i plan on playing rodeo clown in a barrel, but simply to keep me in the seat better during very bump wheeling, and in case i flop. and yeah i know i don't necessarily need it for that, but if i can do it why not.

scorpio_vette said:
well as i said, the full cage is planned. the reason i want the harness right now, isn't because i plan on playing rodeo clown in a barrel, but simply to keep me in the seat better during very bump wheeling, and in case i flop. and yeah i know i don't necessarily need it for that, but if i can do it why not.

Umm kinda putting the horses before the carriage arent ya there buddy? Didnt you read his post, a harness is the last thing you want with no cage....you want to be able to flop your body to the side...or if that roof caves in far enough goodbye neck. Cage it then harness it..dont do the rice harness.

Back