• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5 point harness question

XJ98Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to get 5 point harnesses soon, but this is my DD. If the airbags were to go off, would the 5 point harness help/hurt/not change anything?

depending on how you have it adjusted it would help you in a crash immensly. just think. a NASCAR driver has a harness and not an airbag, when they get in an accident they dont fly forward, instead they stay in place. i dont think the airbags would have an affect with a 5 point harness

That's what I'm worried about, neck injuries. There's no feasible way to wear a haans without a helmet, so I'm worried my neck is going to snap forward.

XJ98Jeep said:
That's what I'm worried about, neck injuries. There's no feasible way to wear a haans without a helmet, so I'm worried my neck is going to snap forward.
You're still better off with the harness. I believe neck injuries from the head going forward are rare. The most common injuries are from the head snapping back.

Thanks JeeperJohn, that makes me feel better.

ANd Manbearpig, I'm either going to put a cage in, or run a harness bar between the seatbelt attachment points. Or I might just duct tape the harness to the back of the seat, that works too right? :gee:

XJ98Jeep said:

A helmet...to protect your neck?

There's some protection offered from whiplash by wearing a helmet I guess, but without some sort of pads/restraint for your head, you're protected more from blunt force than from inertial changes.

lowrange2 said:
That's what a Haans device is for!

Riiight. And then you're gonna tell me something like the op already mentioned not being able to wear one without a helmet...

Its okay, I'm not this dumb all the time... Ah hell, who am I kidding?

Yeah...lol I guess you could strap it to your head instead of the helmet... if you didn't mind screwing some brackets into your skull it should work fine.

lowrange2 said:
... if you didn't mind screwing some brackets into your skull it should work fine.

And its called a Haans? Sounds like a german device.

"Ve have veys ov making you talk. Bring out the... HAANS!"

That's how it's pronounced anyways... I'm too lazy to check the spelling...

Lack of a Haan's device is supposedly the reason why Ole' Earnhardt is dead... that, and that darn wall.

It's "Head And Neck Support".

And unless you're wheeling at 150 MPH, I wouldn't worry about it. If you hit a tree even going 10% that fast, learn how to drive better.

I have a 5-pt. harness in my XJ. The primary reason is to keep me constrained in the case of a rollover...which is a very different set of requirements than the drag racing and NHRA standards. Keep the harness bar below your shoulders by an inch or two, and by all means install the 5th strap, and you should be fine...as long as you've got the cage to back it up. :eek:

Archduke, the Haans device connects to the back of your helmet and the seat, so your head doesn't snap forward, hence not being able to wear one without a helmet.

And Vetteboy, I'm not worried about wheeling injuries, I know my neck won't be snapping forward if I was to hit something, I'm worried about getting into a accident on the street, because this is going to be my Daily driver too.
I did just realize, can I mount the 5th strap to the seat? I think I might weld a bar in between the brackets and attach it to that. Is that ok?

you should really have a cage for 5-points, stock belts allow you to shift as the roof collapses in a roll, so if you don't have a cage to keep the roof from collapsing, don't use them!

89XJ, the HANS is indeed what Earnhardt wasn't wearing.
Skullvarian, that's a good point, i never thought of that. Looks like I'm getting a roll cage AND 5 point belts :yelclap:

Back