• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear end bastard pack rebuild? FML

ShoeterMcgav

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Front end shenanigans aside... I’m on to the rear.

Ford 9”, unknown lift 35s 4.57 Detroit locked center section. What started out as as a “simple” axle shaft seal replacement has mutated into full rear end overhaul...

New seals and axle bearings of course.

New pinion seal? sure

New emergency brake shoes?? Fiiiine

New U bolts and swap a leaf??!? WTF?!

Ya... my second leaf down is cracked and or broke on both sides. Can I add a leaf via the junk yard or elsewhere to fix this?? Do I need a full leaf pack? Does axle not matter, just where it bolts to the body?

This needs to be a hands on CHEAP fix... I already know U bolts are forked full rear end is getting pulled stripped and painted..

Any advice would be cool.. thanks y’all

picture.php

picture.php

Ya... my second leaf down is cracked and or broke on both sides. Can I add a leaf via the junk yard or elsewhere to fix this?? Do I need a full leaf pack? Does axle not matter, just where it bolts to the body?

You could replace a single leaf but you would need to know who built the pack in the first place to be able to match it.

I’ve had a broken leaf replaced by a leaf spring shop in Mexico and they just found a leaf the same thickness and width and length and used a press to shape and curve it to fit and give the same lift height. This is not ideal and does change the flex characteristics of the pack but it was a cheap and super fast fix to get me going. I trust it to drive around normally for a long time, but I would get a new spring or full pack before serious flexing or off-roading.

Bummer, just say f it and get some cheby 63s in there...

Kidding aside bastard packs aren't too expensive.

Just get a leaf the same width and shine in there... Cut it so it's the proper length to keep the progressive nature of a lead spring. Think of an aal. Yeah they're not great, but they don't "match" the existing pack. Don't over complicate it and you'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ya, the original pack is unknown..

As much as I’d like some deavers, that ain’t in the cards as of right now.

I would probably be best served to swap the whole packs on both sides... I don’t want to do a temp job and have to tear it apart again shortly.

Axle isn’t really important, I’d just need correct length of springs?

S10 makes a good donor?

Are there any decent aftermarket packs I can go with? Or should I just replace the 2 with junkyard findings that are correct dimensions?

I would guess, and it's only a guess, that those are re-branded Rubicon Express springs, or very similar. Transamerican Parts owns Pro-Comp and RE.

I had a set of Pro Comp leafs front and rear on a CJ. IIRC they looked real similar to the RE's I have run. Not a bad spring, but not great either, IMO.

At 3.5", I prefer these:
https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/product/xj-35-leaf-springs.html

Time for some Deavers!!!

Ya man that’d be cool... but for $1k I’d be debating 4 link vs deaver. At any rate As I posted earlier in this same thread, Deavers are not in the cards atm.. if you want to contribute I will gladly PM my PayPal info tho!! :laugh::laugh:

But ya know his is a junk yard fix or cheap arse replacement fix... I’d prefer to replace the whole pack as the origins of what’s on there is unknown. One already broke, so I’m not confident in the remaining leaves

I would guess, and it's only a guess, that those are re-branded Rubicon Express springs, or very similar. Transamerican Parts owns Pro-Comp and RE.

I had a set of Pro Comp leafs front and rear on a CJ. IIRC they looked real similar to the RE's I have run. Not a bad spring, but not great either, IMO.

At 3.5", I prefer these:
https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/product/xj-35-leaf-springs.html

Well, I’d assume my “lift” is higher... but know the mount on the axle as well as shackles can play a part in that lift. Still trying to find a stock XJ in my neighborhood to take a tape to... I’d guess 3.5 to be the number in conjunction with the rest of the set up.

Now with that said... I come from the ZJ world, where Rubicon Express always reigned supreme tbh. For coils shocks track bars and adjustable arms... you could not go wrong with RE. If we are now comparing RE to pro comp, I’d say the brand has regressed big time. RE shocks were said to be bilstein rebrands or close. OME and RE were the shock of choice by far.

So at first I got excited to hear that those cheapos might be REs... now idk...

I do REALLY like every interaction and purchase I’ve had with IRO though... including many parts on this very XJ.

Thanks for the recommendation

IRO is awesome customer service,ive had good experiences.

I dont know much about leafs, but if one leaf in a pack cracked, wouldnt that suggest the health of the leafs in general. Idk but my first thought seeing that picture would have me looking at new leafs or coils....

btw did you say deavers are 1000$? thats crazy coin lol, ill scracth that off a list if i ever replace leafs again.

im curious, but if you welded that as some type of temporary repair, would it work or just crack in the same spot?

899$ is going rate for Deavers... add tax and shipping. Might find a deal under $1k to the door, but just barely if so.

Ya welding isn’t a route I’d go on a suspension piece.. and to your point with the broken leaf the others in the pack have been working over old to make up for it I’d guess.. so ya replacing the whole packs seems to be the way to go.

Leaning IRO, I too have had nothing but good experiences with them

Anyone have the latest coupon code for IRO?

3.5with added leaf

I can post pics... But what it is replacing is not stock

Back