• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bastard pack rear springs

jeeptec

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting ready to do some bastard pack rear leaf springs. I'm going to cut the eyes off a main spring and put it under the other main spring. What has been the average amout of lift are you guys and lady's getting. I would like to end up with around 3 +

I'm getting ready to do some bastard pack rear leaf springs. I'm going to cut the eyes off a main spring and put it under the other main spring. What has been the average amout of lift are you guys and lady's getting. I would like to end up with around 3 +

If you want 3" you need to use a spring and a pack that has more arch. Just stacking up XJ springs will work but you will get lift out of stiffness, not arch, and probably hate the ride. I am preferential to Bronco II packs and S-10 leafs. They have more arch and the bronco II's are thin AND have fold over clamps that you can unfold and use to keep the springs aligned when the flex out and open up.

Get a carbide bit and open up the centering pin to 3/8ths and use a hex head bolt as a centering pin. Get an angle grinder and cut the leafs so they are evenly spaced. If the leafs do not thin out towards the ends then taper them side to side (narrow them towards the end) so you dont created stress risers and retain a smooth action as they flex. Deaver leaf liners or a ton of grease (after painting) will make sure they slide smoothly. If you run a lot in dusty conditions you need to clean the grease up and reapply every couple months, not a problem with the Deaver liners.

You will get the lift you build. I like and inch of spacer block (use short leafs if you must), an inch of shacle lift (2" longer shackle) and the rest from the leafs.

John

I'm running 2.5" lift made from XJ upcountry packs + mains & seconds. The ride is, I think, better than stock. Shackle angle sucks though - there's room for improvement there, and with using leaf spring liner or graphite paint.

Don't expect 3" from an XJ/XJ bastard pack, more like 1-1.5". As already suggested, an S-10 main leaf and maybe one additional S-10 leaf will lift about 2-3". Actual lift achieved will depend on the condition of the XJ leaf pack and the donor leaf pack.

I have found XJ/XJ and XJ/S-10 bastard packs to be firmer than stock, but not objectionably stiff or harsh.

Here is the link to the classic bastard pack thread. step by step pics from the OP were lost in a server crash but there are plenty of pics in later posts to give you idea on what to do and tons of info on what works and how much lift was obtained.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50083&page=11

John

Last edited:
I have a two inch lift from wedding quadratec hd springs to my stock main. It has worked out well and is holding up some seven years later. A one inch shackle could be added to that for three inches of lift.

Don't expect 3" from an XJ/XJ bastard pack, more like 1-1.5".

I'm getting ~1" of lift PER LEAF that I added. I only wanted ~2 - 2.5, so I only used two leaves. I'm betting that a full double-pack would come in around 3", especially if one set of leaves or the other was new or UpCountry.

For $249 you can get a set of 3 1/2" new leafs from Rustys and they are a very good set of American made ones. They fit the factory locations give you the exact lift your after, new and I have ran a set for over 2 yrs. and zero sag even with a heavy load on them.

Just wondering if a bastard pac is worth the trouble in the long run when you consider the labor involved with them even with the cost factor.

JMHO, YMMV as with all things.

Well, car hobbies take time & money. If you're short on one, you compensate with the other.

Just wondering if a bastard pac is worth the trouble in the long run when you consider the labor involved with them even with the cost factor.

JMHO, YMMV as with all things.

Not much of a cost or labor, have you done a bastard pack before? It literally only takes a couple of hours if you take your time. And most people can score a pair of stock xj or s10 leafs for practically free.
Bastard packs are worth it for the right ride. Ya you can get a 3.5" lift leaf pack but how is your shackle angle going to look? It'll probably be angled to 90 degrees which sucks on many factors.
Best set up would be shackle relocators(homefab/bought), 1.5"-2" shackle, and a xj-xj bastard pack. Gives you the shackle angle for smoother ride and proper leaf movement, more droop, etc.....

I use adj. boomerang shackles on mine.

Bustard packs are simple and low cost. At about 3" of lift shackle angle are not yet critical and stock shackles will work, and give an acceptable ride.

I went to Fall Fling in Moab twice on my bastard packs and stock shackles.

xlarge.jpg

Last edited:
I previously ran a bastard back + MJ shackles. (Give approx .75" lift). Got the leafs karma'd to me so unknown as to what all was there. Stiff ride unloaded on pavement, 100+ lbs in the rear, rode quite nice.

Back