• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rolls in gear

I came across a 1991 Cherokee that I pulled the transmission and transfer case out of. I put the sye in the 1991 transfer case and installed that in my 1990 Jeep Cherokee. The 1990 was vacuum and the 1991 was not.

That was kind of important info to leave out! At this point you could either swap over the SYE or look at swapping out the input gear but you will have to be aware of the gear cut and the length.

Thank you sir you are 100% correct. I went and measured the transmission and transfer case I have out. Thank you so much. The next question is can I simply just swap the input gear? Or do I just put the sye in the 1990 transfer case?

That was kind of important info to leave out! At this point you could either swap over the SYE or look at swapping out the input gear but you will have to be aware of the gear cut and the length.

Should be a straight swap...but check

BTW, get a new seal and IIRC there is a gasket to.

You should be good to go, I went back and looked at my 4.1 install and it was just sealed with silicone.

Glad you found the problem. You should be out having fun with the XJ this coming long weekend.

Back