• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Theft?

J-Roc

NAXJA Forum User
Saturday I filled up my XJ and parked outside over night. Sunday hit the remote start and let'r warm up before I went off to the Library to study. Hopped in and noticed the fuel guage a weebit under the full mark. When I parked it, it was above. I know the sending units aren't the greatest in these things but whats the likelyhood that I was a victim of such a crime? My Jeep is a 96', not sure if it has any anti-syphon junk in it or not. If it doesn't, is there something I can install for a cheap price? Locking gas cap maybe?

I didn't think so either but fuel hasn't been the cheapest lately ($0.95/L) so I am/was slightly suspicious. I haven't tried to syphon myself because I know I'll end up getting a mouth full of fuel... but is it easily accomplished on XJ's?

Mine doesn't even always go to F all the time when i fill it up. I have noticed the same thing, but also that I can drive a ways and it will actually go back up to F.

nope driveway is flat. Searched for syphoning on here and only came up with the fuel pump being the only way to drain the fuel out, so I am assuming you cannot syphon a Cherokee...

It should have an anti-syphon spout on it being that year. Put a locking gas cap on it and call it good. I believe it is most likely an issue with the gauge not reading perfect. Those things never are exact. Mine does the same thing, then when I drive a ways it goes to full or past.

Two weeks ago when I filled up, the gauge didn't show a full tank. It read that I had about 3/4 of a tank. It was butt-azz cold, and I kinda attributed it to the weather. Thinking what a rough job it would be to be a fuel gauge sending unit in this type of weather. Heck, if I was a fuel guage sending unit, I wouldn't want to work either. I filled up again this past weekend, and it seems to be working fine, and the temperature outside has warmed up significantly.

Has it been really really cold in your neck of the woods?

Hale

J-Roc said:
I haven't tried to syphon myself because I know I'll end up getting a mouth full of fuel... but is it easily accomplished on XJ's?
Yes...And if you buy a length of 3/8 clear plastic tube from Home Despot, you can see the gas before it gets to your mouth.

When I rolled my 97 I syphoned the gas out befor the JY came & got it. I had to take the filler hose lose from the tank. Kinda of a pain, but I didn't think they needed 18 gal. JIM.

Back