• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 9" set up for XJ

southernrebel20

NAXJA Forum User
I have a full width, 31 spline big bearing Ford 9" with 4.56 gears, full spool, and RuffStuff spring perches set at XJ width. Drum brakes. Raised shock mounts. The gears, spool, and 3rd member bearings have about 6,000 miles on them. I daily drive with it in my Jeep and it works well. My plans have changed and I no longer need such a heavy duty axle, so I would like to trade for a 29 spline Chrysler 8.25 or Ford 8.8. I would prefer if they had 4.56 gears, but it's not necessary. I can add cash if your axle is built. Let me know what you've got.

Last edited:
Oooh....lets talk. I have an 8.25 with disc brakes, lockrite locker, 4.56 gears, 29 spline shafts, raised shock mounts and a rockhard diff cover

I would be very interested in your 8.25. That sounds about perfect for what I'm needing. I think you picked up a supercharger from me awhile back if I'm not mistaken.

Yep, that was me. So what's the next move? Is that your only transportation or? If we can work things out we can swap them at my shop. I have a two post lift and everything needed to do it pretty easily. We could focus on getting yours road worthy as mine is under serious construction and won't be on the road for a few months anyway. Let me know what your thinking.

I've got a truck I can drive, so I can pull the 9" and swap with you when ever. I can pull it out this week and meet you this weekend if you want.

Lets do it next week/weekend if thats ok? I have a guy coming to the shop Monday and I need to be able to back my Jeep out of the shop to get his inside. After Monday, I can pull my axle and leave the Jeep up on the lift. I have a few things I need to do to the 9" before I put it in. Hows that work for you?

Yeah, maybe this weekend sometime? Same to you as well, although mine is not street worthy at the moment, so you'd have to come here. Let me know what your schedule looks like. I'm free during the week right now too.

I can do sometime this weekend (Saturday or Sunday would be fine) or during the week. I work in Tucker right off of mountain industrial and live in Snellville. You anywhere around that area?

Like I mentioned, I can come look at the 9" where you are (I come to you), but if you want to look at the 8.25, you'll have to come here as the XJ its in is not road worthy right now (im doing a bunch of cage work). With that being said, do you want to drive your XJ over here one day after work maybe since you will be most of the way here anyhow? Or, if you dont want/need to see the 8.25, Ill come to you and take a look at the 9". Do you drive the XJ to work any?

Yea I drive it to work most days, you can come by and see it anytime. I don't really need to see the 8.25. Give me a shout at 67eight two45 2seven97 when you want to come by, I'm usually ther until 5 and can stay later. Thanks, -Cole

Back