• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'85 XJ Wagoneer CV front shafts

barillms said:
Anyone replace their '85 CV-style Dana 30 front axle shafts? Can I swap in shafts from another Dana 30 without CVs? Mine are clicking... it's annoying.

Could you give more details about what your asking?
Dana 30's don't have CV joint's the front drive shaft could and if that is what you mean then the answer is NO.

Dana 30's did come with cv axles. My 85 has them. And yes, they can be replaced with u-joint style axles. Unless you wheel it hard, you may want to replace them with new cv axles. They are about 100.00 at Autozone, and have a lifetime warranty. Might be easier than finding other axles. If you do wheel, find some axles from a newer dana 30 with the 297 joints. They are a bit stronger than the 260 or cv axles.

I wheel the mofo hard... what year dana 30 do you suggest I look for? Some dana 30s have the vacuum axle disconnect, this will pose a problem, right? I assume the shaft will be different. What year? What drivetrain? I'd like to swap my CV clickers out for some newer, stronger shafts FOR SURE!
..Oh yea! $100 for both or each side????

langer1 said:
Could you give more details about what your asking?
Dana 30's don't have CV joint's the front drive shaft could and if that is what you mean then the answer is NO.
Wait, aren't you the guy who just told me XJs didn't come with CV joint front axle shafts?... Now you're telling me how much they cost to replace? Don't you think that's kinda funny.....

I just replaced my front left CV axleshaft and it only cost me $78.00 plus core at Carquest. It was easy to replace except for my caliper taking about two hours alone. If you are running a 2.5 inline four with your 85 than I would suggest that you stay with the CV's because your turning radius will be better in 4wd instead of the jerky u-joints. I beat the hell out of my jeep Memorial weekend and the CV's held up to some pretty bad abuse. Enough abuse that my engine and rear axle gave out before the CV's. I am not insisting that you stay with them it is just cheaper and easier to stay with them. My front driveshaft is making the clicking noise under my 85 right now and will be replaced when I put in my 8.8 rear axle.

Kim.

Back