• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rollcage going in the Jeep next week...

Andy in Pa.

NAXJA Member #180
I found a local one-man operation in West Chester and went down to talk to him last night about my S&W roll cage. This guy used to work for S&W, and understood how they fit their cages. He is going to install my cage next week, with a few additions. I'm not doing the shelf in the back yet to mount the spare to, but once the cage is in, I'll be able to better visualize how I want to install the shelf. All told, the cage is going to attach to the Jeep at 12 points, 2 in the front coming down from the halo at the drivers and passengers feet, 2 tying in the front seat belt mounts, 2 at the main hoop to the floor, 2 going from the joint at the main hoop and the stringer running across the middle of the main hoop running to the tranny tunnel, 2 tying in the rear seat belt mounts, and 2 at the rear hatch. He is putting it in nice and tight too. It won't be in the way of getting in and out for the driver and passenger. If your looking at the side of the Jeep, you won't be able to tell it has a cage inside. He is doing some additions like OH SHIT handles for driver and passenger, center tube running down the middle of the halo, and some trussing in a few of the critical corners.

Should be nice and stiff when its done. THEN we have to get out and do some wheeling so I can see if it limited my flex.

Also, one thing I found interesting is when I removed my Rusty's two-point bar it seemed to loosen the Jeep up on the road a little bit. I still say that if anyone is looking for a cheap solution for now, that Rusty's bar does stiffen up an XJ noticeably. Its less than $200.00 and takes about 1/2 hour to bolt it in. The doors open and close much better when flexed up too.

Andy

Hey Andy -

Give me a ring and let me know when I might be able to hook up with this guy! have been fence sitting lately on what to do with the XJ, If I can get a good cage done at a reasonable price that would help decide what I am doing.

BTW - Had a good day at Rausch Creek yesterday, only broke 1 Fr shaft/ujoint! Good thing I have a new set of superior shafts coming this week!!

I've had my rollcage in for a few months now. One thing I've observed is that the creaking and groaning coming from the jeep when articulating I don't seem to notice it anymore. I recall it bothering me when I first switched over from the TJ. I've since had the area where the rear seat was converted to a mesh shelf, with about 10 inches of room underneath to store driveshafts, axleshafts, etc., and the shelf itself can probably hold over 200 pounds or more. I'm toying with the idea too of someday installing the spare tire on the inside, but for now it'll stay outside. I also had the area from the seats rearward sprayed in Ultimate Lining. It's really quiet now. I can drive down the interstate and except for some rattling in the passenger door, it's super quiet. To sum up, that rollcage was probably the best thing I did to the jeep (other than the winch, for some reason I need to use the winch a lot). :confused:

Andy,Did he give you an idea about how much for the install?What kind of material does S&W use for tubing?

Nope, the Rustys bar is going in my fiances XJ.

Mitch,
S&W will make the roll cage out of whatever you prefer. I opted not to use DOM for my cage because the extra cost wasn't worth it for me.

This guy is looking to get into doing cages for Jeeps, so right now his prices are very reasonable. He will also do a fully custom cage too, if your willing to come off the funds for it (1500-2500). Once I get mine back I'll have to get some pics posted and start handing out this guys contact info.

A.

What are you going to do about connecting the shoulder belt mounts to the adjusters in Leah's XJ? That was the whole reason I didn't start out with one for my '97...

I'm just gonna mark the hole in the bar bracket where it falls on the plastic, then drill it right through to the exterior and slap a big ol' 7/16" bolt right through the whole thing, then tighten it down with the impact wrench til its about 1/2" thick. Thus the birth of FrankenJeep has begun... :gee:

Hmmm... I forgot those seatbelts adjust. I don't know yet, guess when I get around to installing it I'll have to pull that side plastic off and see if I can figure something out.

A.

All you guys getting roll cages, you all are almost there for Jeepspeed East an XJ only street legal, racing club, with racing at Rausch Creeks Rally course. Andy how much did your cage cost? I'm near you in Coatesville, I want to give out a shout to Lynn and John. there's info on Jeepspeed East at
http://www.wastedtrails.com

Doug

Yeah, I tried to call you at your shop a few months ago and left a message for you, but never heard back. I found an outfit in West Chester that installs rollcages. I actually live in West Bradford now, not too far at all from your shop. Sorry, slow and steady is my speed. My junk gets driven to and from the trails. I would like to come down and check out your shop though. Hit me b-c and we'll meet up sometime.

Andy

For anyone interested, my truck is currently being outfitted with a roll cage from Essentially Off Road. The price was good and I'm putting a fullcage with front and rear nerf bumpers connected to the cage. Speak with Rocky when you call there 800-826-1623.

hey Andy in Pa. I, mostly (till I was 15) grew up in Westbradford. I left there in 1980. I used to live at 1620 Sylvan Drive (my dad designed that house), off of Shadyside road (wow, that just popped out, I still remember). Just funny to see "Westbradford" on here, I hadn't thought about that place in 20 years (I've lived in the South now for 23 years). I went to Downingtown JR high too.

Sorry to bust the thread.

The next post talks about Essentially off Road. That just a few miles away.

Greddy

Yeah, I know right where you mean. Yes, I have lived in this area most of my life. I went to D-Town as well, Jr and Sr high school. Small world aye?

A.

Back