• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backup Camera for trailering

jmg222

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Been messing around with various solutions for a backup camera while trailering... I've tried around a dozen different setups.. if you're interested, this is a very decent setup-- fairly high resolution (full HD), camera is good at night, and most important to me, very little delay.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JQ8ZQ39/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I mounted the camera on the trailer hitch on my jeep that I'm towing, and get an almost perfect view. Camera is powered through 12volt adapter in the center console, and only a single wire run out the back, along the trailer, to the truck.
Mounted the 7" display on a gooseneck ... entire setup takes about 15 minutes to breakdown/setup, so it's only there when I'm actually using the trailer . (I know this isn't really a "modified" post, but I've spent a ton of time trying to find a high-quality camera/monitor combo, this is so far the best found, so figured I'd pass it along).

Here's the interior set up. If anyone wants posts of the hitch mount.. I just welded up a piece of rectangular sheet metal to cut-off piece from an old hitch

20200217_120306_zpsaigx0nki.jpg

20200217_141404_zpscb3gijaj.jpg

Last edited:
cool. is it wide angle by any chance?

advertised as being 149 deg viewing angle. I was a bit worried about it not being wide enough, the tiny camera strapped underneath is something I've been using as a front camera for rock crawling, and it has a 170deg viewing angle. 149 deg is more than enough though -- it gives me almost full views of left and right lanes, and the camera that came with the kit has better night vision and clarity than the tiny one strapped under it (and that camera isn't a crap camera either).

Yeah, but can it make the trailer invisible like Chevy's! :roll:

Yeah, but can it make the trailer invisible like Chevy's! :roll:

I don't know what the chevy one does, but I mount it in the rear trailer hitch of the truck I'm transporting, and I don't see the trailer at all...

jeep2edited_zps6mov2idc.jpg

Last edited:
wow. Nope, I'm far more low tech. Just put the camera on the back of the trailer :)

The hitch camera mount is nice, does the XJ have a dash monitor that can use the camera too?
I have smacked the rear, end, while of-roading, more times than hitting something going forward. A rear view camera would be useful.

The hitch camera mount is nice, does the XJ have a dash monitor that can use the camera too?
I have smacked the rear, end, while of-roading, more times than hitting something going forward. A rear view camera would be useful.

really? you doing hill climbs in reverse? or are you talking about a forward looking camera to see both rear tires as they approach an obstacle?

front driver tire is pretty easy, put sometimes I'd like to know a bit more about where front passenger is heading.

Funny you should ask-- in the XJ, I fabbed up a bracket that that goes over my rear tire, so I can see out the back window (I use the XJ on the road, so need a rearview I can actually see out of.. the 35" spare almost completely blocks the window). I have that wired into a high-def rear view mirror. I also reworked my dash to accept a double din, dropped in a nav unit, and use that with a camera mounted in the front, just above the front diff, so I can line up better on the trail.

here's the bracket:
20191103_192355%20002_zps9x5xaiso.jpg

20191103_182730_zpsf7fku3mt.jpg

And here's the view from the driver's seat with the rear view camera and the front camera on (I thought about putting the rear view camera in the hitch, but it's too low to give me the correct POV):
20191114_185941_zps754po9fs.jpg

The rearview camera can also do a split screen, front and rear.. I just don't use it:
20191114_185949_zpswzrk5utr.jpg

Here's a better view of the double din receiver from the driver's side -- (in this pic I had the rearview camera connected to it, but don't like having to drop my eyes to see behind):
20191103_182840_zpsomqd3esm.jpg

Funny you should ask-- in the XJ, I fabbed up a bracket that that goes over my rear tire, so I can see out the back window (I use the XJ on the road, so need a rearview I can actually see out of.. the 35" spare almost completely blocks the window). I have that wired into a high-def rear view mirror. I also reworked my dash to accept a double din, dropped in a nav unit, and use that with a camera mounted in the front, just above the front diff, so I can line up better on the trail.

sweet gadgetry!

Thanks!
zip ties were there only to decide which camera I liked better, I've since bolted the camera to the hitch.

Last edited:
really? you doing hill climbs in reverse? or are you talking about a forward looking camera to see both rear tires as they approach an obstacle?

We have been on Jeep trails where the switchbacks are so tight and narrow that the XJ, with its long wheel base, cannot complete the turn without backing up, sometimes more than once .
I've hit the differential cover hard a few times, that's what the armored cover is for. Still, I would preferred to have seen the rocks in a rear view camera and avoided the hits.

I use that same camera on a work pickup. I hooked it up to the reverse lights for power so it comes on whenever I am backing up.

We have been on Jeep trails where the switchbacks are so tight and narrow that the XJ, with its long wheel base, cannot complete the turn without backing up, sometimes more than once .
I've hit the differential cover hard a few times, that's what the armored cover is for. Still, I would preferred to have seen the rocks in a rear view camera and avoided the hits.

agreed. you could probably tuck it up above DS and have a good view. I'm pretty tough on taillights. didn't have driver mirror (tree) for a few trips. the camera would've helped for sure.

i thought about that … the rear receiver is decent for a rear rock cam, a little high ..
Also, keep in mind these cameras on amazon are tiny and cheap and require just one wire, so zip tying them to the top of the rear diff isn't a crazy idea (in fact I may try it :) ))

i thought about that … the rear receiver is decent for a rear rock cam, a little high ..
Also, keep in mind these cameras on amazon are tiny and cheap and require just one wire, so zip tying them to the top of the rear diff isn't a crazy idea (in fact I may try it :) ))

I'm assuming splitting the video feed on one screen is easy as long as there are 2 inputs?

also do you have a favorite brand/make/model of camera and display?

I'm assuming splitting the video feed on one screen is easy as long as there are 2 inputs?

Split screens are usually expensive but many monitors have two or more inputs that can be scrolled between.
Wish there was a good place to mount a monitor but the dash full with switches, gauges and a GPS.

Split screens are usually expensive but many monitors have two or more inputs that can be scrolled between.
Wish there was a good place to mount a monitor but the dash full with switches, gauges and a GPS.

double din receivers are tempting, but I'm sure it will get stolen, even though they're no longer big ticket item.

Back